PCV Bleed

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Somewhere I read on here where you could pull back the right side cowling without taking it off to bleed the PVC. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it. Or is there a detailed update of someone having done this? Preferably with instructions, maybe pics?

randalicious

Seasoned M/C Rider
Bike
'07 ST1300
You remove enough of the rear upper fasteners so that you can pull the cowling out maybe 2-3 inches, then, look up beside the fuel tank, close to the front of the bike to see the PCV. I kept looking for it closer to the rear brake fluid reservoir. The bleed valve will have a black rubber cap on it that makes it hard to see without a blinding light, and the bleed valve will be pointing orthogonally (at a right angle) away from the centerline of the bike. There's a pic of it on a post somewhere on here, but I'm too lazy to go find it. You've probably already been there.
You can put your bleed tubing in from the top, or through the side in one of the openings on the cowling.
HTH. It gets easier the 2nd through 6th time you do it. :)

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Search my prior threads for brake bleeding shortcuts. You should find the text and instructions there.
If you need further assistance pm me and I can send you some pictures when I get home tonight.
Igofar

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I want to extend a big "Thank You" to Larry (Igofar) for all his help on this issue. He called me and supplied me with both pics and instruction of how to do this successfully. Not to mention he offered his services by phone or email once I was started.

Again,
Thanks Larry

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Well......did you finish bleeding everthing yet?
Still standing by the white courtesy phone if needed.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Well......did you finish bleeding everthing yet?
Still standing by the white courtesy phone if needed.
Larry,

Sorry for the delayed response, but my friends garage (he is a wrench) has a vehicle that is priority right now and we should get to mine this Th or Fri.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Here's the a link to one way to do it: PCV bleed without removing all of the tuperware.

And, here is the post:

Somewhere I read on here where you could pull back the right side cowling without taking it off to bleed the PVC. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it. Or is there a detailed update of someone having done this? Preferably with instructions, maybe pics?
Jul 15, 2020
Whooshka said:
I thought I remember reading the right side tupperware doesn't have to be removed to bleed this, is that true? Any tips?
You remember correctly. If you are only doing a brake fluid service and not the coolant and valves you can bleed the PCV with the right side middle cowl mostly in place. To get to it I first remove the plastic rivet down low on the lower back edge of the cowl - it's kind of directly above the brake pedal, then remove 5 bolts holding the right side black lower cowl in place. Disengage the middle cowl's tab that fits into the lower cowl just below where the rivet was and pull the lower cowl free and allow it to droop down. You can leave the left side lower cowl in place, the right side one will just drop down and hang there. Now pop off the tip-over wing sacrificial cover and remove the two 8 mm bolts under the cover. Watch out for the rubber bushings and collars so they don't fall out of the cowl and get lost. The last fastener is the long flanged shoulder bolt in the recess just above the valve cover. With all these out, gently pull the lower back edge of the cowl away from the bike. There is a locating pin on the cowl that fits in a rubber bushing in the frame - it's a press fit and it will pop out and the the rear of the cowl is free and the cowl is only retained by the screws and rivets up front in front of the fairing pocket cover and screws under the mirror housing. You can pull the middle cowl out an inch or three and access the PCV bleeder. I had a piece of wood about 2" x 2" that I would gently wedge in place to hold the gap open.

Dave

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Or you can simply raise the fuel tank up, and your looking right at it.

Reactions: Gug
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I'm confused ... you do realize you're responding to a post that's just over six years old ?? :turtle:

Also, you've got some weird hyperlink to "add bookmark"
Zombie Post.... o_O
...which is ok, because some folks searching for answers find them, and still need help.
This is why I will respond to them (Gug responded yesterday)
:thumb::WCP1:

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Gug responded in here "yesterday"? ... must be a ghost response cause last one I see is Sep 23, 2014 .
Or maybe it feels like yesterday : ) :thumb:
Look at the bottom of post #9
He responded with a thumbs up like yesterday at 7:09 p.m.
You should really try and keep up :rofl1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Look at the bottom of post #9
He responded with a thumbs up like yesterday at 7:09 p.m.
You should really try and keep up :rofl1:
Still here Larry. You were a huge help when I did this. I no longer have an ST, I now have the 18' Goldwing. But, this is still the best MC forum on the web, truly helpful and a lot of good people. I peruse through here daily to see what is going on.

Top Bottom