Rubber dampner need replaced '91 ??

Bike
'91 ST1100
STOC #
Pulled the rear wheel yesterday for a tire replacement and the flange assy seemed a little loose and just fell out when the wheel was leaned to that side. How do I know if the rubbers need replaced? With the flange in place on the wheel in will jiggle maybe 1/16".

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
How do I know if the rubbers need replaced?
Once you can jiggle them... ;-)

Seriously, that assy shouldn't just fall off, the O-ring on the hub and the 5 fingers in the aluminium bushings give it a tight fit (would need some pics to estimate condition of the hub...)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Well past replacement time by the sound of it. When you replace them (rubber dampers AND aluminum inserts), you will see how tight a fit they are when new, usually requiring a rubber mallet to hammer them into place!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...usually requiring a rubber mallet to hammer them into place!
Which should be done very carefully... the hammering that is...
I rather also lube the 5 pins with a slight smear of Moly-paste, and then squeeze & wiggle the thing in place by hand only...
There is a risk of pushing the new aluminium bushings out the new rubbers when "hammering" the splines into place...

Further need those cush-dampers to be fully seated prior installing the holding plate.
Some use rubbing alcohol, some silicone spray, I powder them with talcum, insert them in the pockets inside the rim, to then use a 3/8" ratchet extension and a plastic mallet to "hammer" them fully into the wheel (only apply force on the rubber, never on the bushings).
Apply a small drop of medium Loctite on the threads of the 5 bolts fixing the holding plate, do not exceed the rated 20Nm on them...

Check the (3) O-rings, do the usual lubing procedures....

Bike
ST1100Y and ST1300-2
Is there anyway of getting out cush drives that are tight to re use them?
I have a damaged wheel with good cush rubbers and inserts, and worn out ones on my good wheel.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Is there anyway of getting out cush drives that are tight to re use them?
I have a damaged wheel with good cush rubbers and inserts, and worn out ones on my good wheel.
You should be able to pull them out, they maybe tight inside the wheel. If you take your time they should come out without destroying them so you can reuse them.

Bike
ST1100Y and ST1300-2
Quickly realised I was not going to get the cush rubbers and alloy inserts out of the wheel without significant damage, there well stuck.
So spent ?70+ on 5 new pairs.
I've read much on putting new rubbers into the wheel noting the use of talc or rubbing alcohol ( surgical spirit uk ), but was wondering if red rubber grease would be ideally suited? http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
Tommo. I did mine recently and used a water based lubricant that is made to work with rubber. Most pharmacy's will sell it :)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...as wondering if red rubber grease would be ideally suited?
Actually not, since the rubbers are supposed to stick tight inside their hub chambers... and not float/shift around there under load.
You only need some installation aid to get them in/fully seated, hence the rubbing alcohol, talcum, etc...

That rubber-grease seems fine for O-Rings, gaiters, wheel bearing- and fork-seals...

Top Bottom