Problem with sticking rear brake

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
I have an 06 ST and about 6 months ago I replaced the back brakes. I moved, so I haven't really had time to do much riding, but over a few rides I noticed a groan and a little vibration coming from the bike and I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I put the bike up and today I went out to take it for a test ride around the neighborhood and as soon as hit the rear brake pedal the rear brakes wouldn't release. I had no problems from this when pulling the front brake. I pulled it in the garage, put it up on the center stand, and tried turning the back wheel and it would not budge.

As far as the SMC about 1000-2000 miles ago I followed Igofar's instructions on cleaning and re-greasing the SMC as well as flushing the entire system. I was having some issues with the rear brake then, but this corrected them.

I'm thinking this has something to do with my install, but I am not sure where to look. I followed the instructions I found on here and cleaned the pistons before I pushed them back in.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have an 06 ST and about 6 months ago I replaced the back brakes. I moved, so I haven't really had time to do much riding, but over a few rides I noticed a groan and a little vibration coming from the bike and I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. I put the bike up and today I went out to take it for a test ride around the neighborhood and as soon as hit the rear brake pedal the rear brakes wouldn't release. I had no problems from this when pulling the front brake. I pulled it in the garage, put it up on the center stand, and tried turning the back wheel and it would not budge.

As far as the SMC about 1000-2000 miles ago I followed Igofar's instructions on cleaning and re-greasing the SMC as well as flushing the entire system. I was having some issues with the rear brake then, but this corrected them.

I'm thinking this has something to do with my install, but I am not sure where to look. I followed the instructions I found on here and cleaned the pistons before I pushed them back in.
I'm thinking,,your SMC cleaning was just temporary and a new one is in order.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I had the same problem this winter. Part of my problem was a failed SMC pivot bearing where the needle bearings had delaminated and the bearing froze up locking the SMC. It was suggested to me that the hole drilled in the front fork was probably too small and the bearing crimped so that if I replaced it the problem would reoccur. So, I cleaned up the bearing and inner race, sanded the bearing race with a fine grit pad, repacked the bearing rollers with lithium moly grease, cleaned up the SMC, and packed the SMC boot with brake grease to prevent water penetration; now all is well 12,000 + miles later.

This is not to say its your problem but just another thing that can contribute to rear break issues.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Well I got to looking at it and it looks like the brake caliper isn't on straight. Only the bottom left and top right of the pads are actually touching the rotor. I'm going to fiddle with it some more to see if I can straighten it out, I supposed this could cause the problem.

As far as the SMC is the new one going to be a permanent fix as far as did they fix the inherent problem? I only have 16k miles on the bike.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
Well I got the caliper straightened out, but it still didn't solve the problem. So a new SMC is on order, hopefully it arrives soon. I got the G03 revision so hopefully I won't have any more problems, also I live in the desert now so hopefully I will have less problems with corrosion. :)

Last edited:

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
U need a NEW SMC - Hope that fixes it. Have never had any prob. with the 1 on my '07 with 84K - & hope it stays that way! I spray a little silicone around it, & keep the washer spray off of it. Just like to know - How much does Honda get 4 a new 1 ? Good Luck.

OP
OP
magnaryder02

magnaryder02

Justin
Bike
ST1300
It was $131 shipped from ronayers. I also put my complaint in with the nhsta, which I think everyone should do that has this problem. Maybe it'll get someone's attention if enough people complain to consider a recall.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
magnaryder02 said:
I also put my complaint in with the nhsta, which I think everyone should do that has this problem.
I hope every one does.
Is this the site you used to put a complaint in.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Keep all of your failed parts. We may need them to build a case for a recall on the ST1300's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom