Cut down windshield.

I recently purchased a used windshield to cut down to experiment with wind buffeting. I'm attaching pictures of the semi-finished result. I have not polished the cut edge yet. At this height, 6 3/4 inches measured at the center, my helmet is just barely in clean air. I may cut it even lower after I try it for a while.

I like the looks of this better than the stock or aftermarket ones. This is a play bike for me. That's why I'm not so worried about wind protection. I have an 01 Goldwing for longer trips.

Having fun,

Rayjoe

Attachments

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
That looks like a nice custom cut...how did you do that? I've also become a fan of a shorter shield for the ST (I used to have a huge shield on the bike).

OP
OP
rayjoe
Thanks for your replies. I used blue painters tape to lay out the line I wanted. I then cut next to the edge of the tape on a small bandsaw with a coarse wood blade (about 8 teeth per inch). The nice thing about painters tape is you can peel it off and try different lines before you cut. Of course I had the windshield off the bike.

To answer some one elses' question. I'm six feet tall barefoot with a 34 inch inseam. I wear a new Shoei Neotec helmet size XL.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
When I tried a shorty Clearview, I was still to short, so I could never get into clean air. At 6 foot, I can see where this setup would work for you.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Clearview used to sell a "Sport Shield" for the 1100... they may still offer it. Their sport shield is blacked out and looks great on the 1100. So, if you want to try playing with appearance, "Paint it Black".

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
or use some black 3M vinyl wrap. Removable if you don't like it.

I like a short shield too (but not the buggy helmet shield part). Or even no shield, which I had to do earlier this year.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I have the MRA I got from Twisted Throttle and found running the lower portion only was screaminly loud ... a small bit of lexan added to the top like a cut down upper portion takes away the loudness.
the lower ones look sorta like this:

The smoke one in this is now that short ... it isn't lexan, so it got a craze and a chunk broke out. When it was a hair taller it looked like this:

And I have made taller ones still shorter than stock that I use when it isn't winter but I need a bit more coverage:

I cut them out, then mount them to the lower, then use a heat gun or propane torch to give it a bit less stress

Oh, and the whole thing looks like this:

without the ice, of course.

OP
OP
rayjoe
JPKalishek,

I have a Wind Bender on my Goldwing that works very well. I saved the top portion of the windshield I cut down and was thinking of trying to duplicate the effects of the Wind Bender. Interesting to see someone else's idea also.

That's a lot of ice!!

Here's a couple of pictures of my Goldwing with the Wind Bender Shield setup. You can adjust the height manually.

Rayjoe

Attachments

Last edited:

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
JPKalishek,

I have a Wind Bender on my Goldwing that works very well. I saved the top portion of the windshield I cut down and was thinking of trying to duplicate the effects of the Wind Bender. Interesting to see someone else's idea also.

That's a lot of ice!!

Here's a couple of pictures of my Goldwing with the Wind Bender Shield setup. You can adjust the height manually.

Rayjoe
I like that style of shield. The other shield I have is a Laminar Lip standard height replacement. it works pretty good, and I used it this past vacation trip to YooperSTOC, but I'd like a bit more upper width, so I might try and make a lip or add-ons that add something to the factory one.
I think I might try an ultra short one like yours for more air in summer. The only thing I dislike is the bug issue someone else mentioned, but I am getting that with the current set up.
I do notice in the rain, I get a clearer face-shield with the shorties. The taller ones, I tend to lean out into the stream to clear the drops off.

Top Bottom