Motorcycle Superstore

Bike
2006 ST1300
It finally turned out ok, but here's what happened. Back in June, I ordered a new front tire for the ST. This weekend, I went to put it on. Took the wheel off the ST, took the old tire off, ready to put on the new tire. I get the new tire out of the packing cardboard and set it on top of the wheel and notice it looks too small. The invoice said I ordered an 18, but they sent me a 17 inch tire. I called them and the lady said that since it was past 60 days, I would be responsible for the shipping back. WHAT??? I hung up. I decided to call back to talk to a supervisor. I would understand if I had changed my mind on the tire, or if I had ordered the wrong size, but this was THEIR mistake. The same lady (Whitney) answered. I asked to talk to a supervisor. She asked why and then tried to tell me the same policy. I told her my feelings and she put me on hold for about 5 minutes. Finally, a supervisor got on the phone and said he would email me a shipping label for them to pay for return shipping and send me the correct size tire that I ordered. My question is why do I have to demand to talk to a supervisor before they will correct their own mistake? That is not good customer service.
It also frustrated me even more because I had the bike in the way (with the front wheel off) and the wheel mounter bolted to the floor where my Mustang usually sits in the garage. Now I have to wait a week to get the bike back together. :mad:

If I ever order from them again, I sure am going to check the correctness of the order as soon as it comes.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Re: Bad taste from Motorcycle Superstore

My question is why do I have to demand to talk to a supervisor before they will correct their own mistake? That is not good customer service.
It seems to me that exactly the way it should work. The employer/business has a policy and guidelines and the employee/staff has an obligation to work within them. If it's necessary to step out of policy it should need to be handled by a supervisor unless maybe it's a very small detail.

Not to mention since almost all business have a return policy with a finite window it would make sense to inspect your purchase immediately on receipt to make sure it's right to avoid any number of complications down the road. Yes it was their mistake in shipping you the wrong tire but 60 days is a pretty generous amount of time to inspect your purchase.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #

Bad on them for shipping you the wrong tire... but you should always check your order as soon as you get it, no matter who you ordered it from. It'll save you headaches down the road.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Bad on them for shipping you the wrong tire... but you should always check your order as soon as you get it, no matter who you ordered it from. It'll save you headaches down the road.
+1 and keep the receipt. The PL14610 I just picked upped at k-mart had an L14610 in the box.
Yah know it didn't come from the factory that way.:mad:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

+1 what sherob said. Also would have been prudent to at least unwrap the tire to verify size, made-on date, etc before removing the wheel and tire from the ST.
Also would have avoided having to park the Mustang outside for a week. Hate it when that happens...

Last edited:

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

Sorry you ran into a couple people who can't think off-script. Not to hijack the thread, I had a similar incident recently with quite different results.

I purchased a front tire from Rocky Mountain ATV June 9th, and finally got around to mounting it Mid August. Soon it became evident there was something wrong and after help from the board the it was determined tire had a flat spot. I called the Rocky Mt. customer service line on Sept 9th gave them my order number and the nature of the problem, she apologized for the bad tire, and my inconvenience, then emailed me a UPS return slip. The new tire arrived a few days ago, it cost nothing but tire mounting cost times two, no postage, I just had to use my old front tire for a couple weeks.

This company seems to understands customer retention. By taking care of this problem without jacking me around they invested in future transactions. I will consult their site first and their past actions will weigh heavily on my purchase decisions. A lesson that is lost on many vendors today.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

Well, they're pretty clear on the policy and you should have checked when you received it. I think they did you a favor and you should be happy about the outcome, not complaining.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #

Given the amount of time involved, I think the store handled the issue OK. Always a good idea to check what you receive just as a double check to make sure it's what you ordered.

John

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300

Well, they're pretty clear on the policy and you should have checked when you received it. I think they did you a favor and you should be happy about the outcome, not complaining.
I completely understand them having this policy. It makes sense if I had ordered the wrong item and didn't check it. But I ordered the correct item. The correct item was shown on the packing slip. They shipped the wrong item. I was very nice to them when I called, but felt that they should have done a better job of customer service when correcting a mistake that they made. I have learned to definitely check items that I order and not assume the shipper is competent.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #

I'm going downstairs right now to check the tires that I got several weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder. :D

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

One other thing about receiving new tires. Especially if you mount your own tires. You always want to unwrap, cut off the shipping ties and store the tire in an upright position. If not you risk the tire not sealing on the rim enough to allow the bead to seat. I mounted a tire for a friend who did not cut off the shipping bands for two months after receiving the tire and stored the tire laying down on its side. Had to take the wheel and tire to an automotive tire garage as my home compressor did not have the volume of air to seat the bead on the rim. Even the auto tire shop had a hard time. Took about 15 min to get the bead to seat. So always unwrap and store your new tires in an upright position.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

That is a good reminder to all, that you must check that you received the parts you ordered.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

I mounted a tire for a friend who did not cut off the shipping bands for two months after receiving the tire and stored the tire laying down on its side.
I understand the bands causing a deformation, but storing on it's side? I can't see there being that much pressure to flex the sides.

But I was wrong before...

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300

Well, after Motorcycle Superstore saying they would correct their mistake, they really came through with it. I shipped the wrong tire back on Monday morning. By Monday evening, the correct tire was shown shipped. I received it today and it is already on the bike and back together. :) I guess I will still order from them. I'll just know to check the order next time as soon as it comes in.

Top Bottom