Cooling issues or am I being paranoid?

1998 ST1100, around 32K miles. As a preface, I?ve had some cooling issues in the past, so I may be paranoid. However, here goes. Recently, (within the last 6 months) I?ve done the following: replaced thermostat, changed out the coolant, replaced thermo switch for radiator fan, found the dreaded split hose on the overflow and cut and re-attached the overflow line. Symptoms:when riding/moving ? no issues and the temperature gauge is just barely into the normal range, however, (at almost any outside temperature) when stopped for any length of time (red lights, for instance) the temperature gauge QUICKLY moves into the 12 o clock position. The radiator fan does come on and keeps the temperature from getting too hot. My concern is how fast the temperature moves up. It seems abnormally fast. Every time I check the overflow and radiator levels they seem to be OK. Am I being paranoid or is this normal behavior? I?m thinking that maybe be thermostat is not opening fully and I?m not getting the cooling efficiency that I should be. Opinions requested. Thanks.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I haven't spent enough time riding in cool weather to help you with how your temp-gauge acts...

However you replaced the T-stat with an OEM or someone else's?

OP
OP
I haven't spent enough time riding in cool weather to help you with how your temp-gauge acts...

However you replaced the T-stat with an OEM or someone else's?
I replaced the thermostat with the one associated with the relevant Honda Accord or Civic (I don't remember).

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I agree with paranoid. It is working properly. Without airflow the motor will warm up quickly. Remember the motor is almost completly encased in plastic. And when you are not moving all that hot air just sits in there. When the fan kicks on the temp stops going up just as it should. Go ride.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The radiator fan does come on and keeps the temperature from getting too hot.
I think this is the key piece of info you provided. If the fan is bringing the temp needle down slightly or preventing it from going any higher than 12 o'clock, then the system would appear to be working normally.

The gauge tends to move quickly from the steady running low level to the 12 o'clock position as soon as your speed drops below about 40mph or you stop, so that part doesn't sound unusual either. As long as your gauge doesn't go higher than 12 o'clock, or the thickness of the needle past it, there's nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Well, I guess that we can just chalk it up to paranoia. But remember, just because you're paranoid does mean that they AREN'T out to get you.

Top Bottom