St1300-a3 clutch problem

I've joined the forum in the hope I can get some help with my 2003 st 1300-a3.
I'm having problems with the clutch in that after 20 minutes or so of riding the clutch lever starts giving excessive travel ie the lever hits the handlebar before disengaging, this has only started happening in the last 3 weeks, if the bike is stopped and shut down the clutch lever comes back to normal operation on its own.
Here is what's been done so far to no avail.
Cleaned out the master cylinder and used new dot 4 fluid and vacuum bled the system on the remote bleed screw, then bled it conventionally using the lever and bleed screw, you know pulling the lever several times then opening the bleed screw and closing again before releasing the lever. the lever at this point feels absolutely fine and the clutch engages / disengages at the correct biting point. Today I took a hose clamp with me and sure enough after 20 minutes approx of riding the lever started giving excessive play, so I stopped and clamped the hose just below the master cylinder and found that the lever is stiff to pull as it should be so that, I reckon, rules out the master cylinder. So it must be something wrong with the clutch itself or slave cylinder but what, Has anyone had this fault and found the problem.

Aye yours

Rorymotorbiker

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
If it's not leaking I would then think is air in the line/slave...
Two things I can think of 1) reverse bleed; force the fluid up the line from the slave 2) tie the lever all the way back and let it sit after doing so ( overnight ) to allow air up and out.

If the clutch ? heat expansion warpping the plates/disks??

But I'd try the easier option first and that would be a another bleed try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom