Breakaway vs other

Bike
09 ST1300
I had a Breakway Throttle lock on my Burgman 650 EXEC .. absolutely loved it. When i traded into my ST1300 .. I contacted Breakaway for the proper "O" ring for the ST. upon receiving, I noted a warning on their package "not recommended if you have heated grips that have the wire attached". I purchased my unit used from dealer and assumed it was a honda heated grip ..

I'm thinking of just mounting the Breakaway and seeing how it works .. I don't believe the cable will impact any throttle movement.

Question : has anyone put a Breakaway on the ST with heated grips like I described ? Success/failure/issues/ cautions ?

thanks

Dave

OP
OP
DJJTK
Bike
09 ST1300
I've used a Breakaway without any problems on my bike for 130,000+ kms. I have the BMW grips and Symtec heated grips.
I tried to mount my unit . but the O-ring from my Burgman is smaller than the larger ST OEM heated grips .. and soon as i mention "heated grips" to breakaway they shut me down indicating they don't support or condone the use of their product this way.

i just need a bigger O-ring that will fit the unit and accomodate the grips .. did you have to modify yours or did the 0-ring fit out of the box ?

i'm thinking i may find some pvc pipe or similar and just make a new ring .. any suggestions ?

thx

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
Now you have me thinking. I do recall there was some small tweak that was necessary but my buddy looked at that while I was installing the MCL highway blades. I'll give it some more thought as it isn't immediately coming to mind...

OP
OP
DJJTK
Bike
09 ST1300
I've given up on modifying my 6CP02 .. figured out the grip and o-ring issue, but the lever just didn't fit/reach the break lever properly.

So .. wondering if anyone has the Breakaway Cruise 7CP02 model .. and using the Honda OEM heated grips ? I know Breakaway says not to use .. most of my riding is in the summer and likely 99% sure i won't be riding with the breakaway and grips in heat mode.

thanks....

OP
OP
DJJTK
Bike
09 ST1300
Ah Poop :)

if i could have gotten the 6CP02 working .. i think it would have been fine.

now to sell this and spend more time riding instead of tinkering

thx

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Ah Poop :)

if i could have gotten the 6CP02 working .. i think it would have been fine.

now to sell this and spend more time riding instead of tinkering

thx
I feel you pain, I had the breakaway on my bike for quite a few miles, then I installed heated grips and could not use it. Darn!! Now I have a kayoko throttle lock works but is just not the same. :(

Top Bottom