font wheel spindle pinch bolts oily/fluidy

Bike
ST1300A2
Hi all,

just removed the front wheel to check the wheels bearings and pads were all ok. The left hand pinch bolts were wet when removed from the fork leg, and the whole spindley area around that bottom fork leg on that side seemed oily wet.

Is there a known issue of leaking around this area?

to me it looked thin enough to be brake fluid, so hoping that the previous owner had bled them and made a mess and just not cleaned it up.

hoping its nothing more serious....

thanks in advance

Tom

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
What year is your ST? On my 07 ST1300 with the front spindle removed there is access to the drain plug for the lower fork tube. It has a copper sealing washer. Not common for these to leak unless it's loose or serviced incorrectly. If that's where the leak is originating you should service both front forks as the fork oil/air level affects damping. It needs to be the same on both forks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST1300A2
Thanks Chuck. its a 2002. I did notice there was a hole that was accessible with the spindle removed so maybe it is that. thanks for the suggestion will check this out!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If not that check the rest of the fork for residue. Could be a leaky fork seal that ended up there.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300A2
I think you might be right, checked whilst fiddling earlier and the seal on the same fork is all wet so it would make sense...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Plenty of threads on here about makin ga hook from a piece of thin plastic and cleaning the seal. Did it to mine when I first brought her home.

But at the same time... if you are enjoying the bike and have the time, disassemble the forks, clean and change the oil, look at the seals up close. It's not in the MOM but the oil should probably be done every other year. This will probably also get whatever dirt is clogging the seal out as well.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300A2
Thanks mate. think I will get new bushes and seals and do a complete check/change. bikes on 67000 miles now, I've only had it a month and there is no mention of the forks being serviced in any of the history so best do it.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Plenty of threads on here about makin ga hook from a piece of thin plastic and cleaning the seal.
+1
Put it on the center stand clean the bug guts off the fork.
Pry the dust seal off.
Slide a pc of 35mm film negative in between the oil seal and fork, rotate it around and drag the gunk out a few times.
Pc of plastic milk jug cut into a "J" works as well.

Top Bottom