Wheel speed sensor ppm

I'd sure love a technical boost from one of you brainiacs. I sold a Yamaha Raider in August after a year and then found the ST13 I now am loving it and setting it up with my usual preferences. For the Raider, I found an awesome electronic cruise control with a very nice left thumb controlled 2 button control switch that was really fabulous. The builder, Custom Rider in Plano Tx, more specifically Chilly the owner & electrical engineer is eager to help me get info to adapt his CC for use on the ST1300. Pretty exciting as the quality is really good & it's cheaper than any other I've seen available for the ST so far. I sent him an electrical schematic, but it was a thumbnail & no use to him, not being able to expand it. So in an effort to get him info, could someone send a link to a '03-'11 wiring schematic? That would be really helpful, also I need to provide wheel speed sensor pulse per minute data from an oscilloscope to determine correct calibration. I don't have a scope or the ability to.use one, but perhaps one of you do & could help to get a great mod up & available. Just fishing for an interested soul willing and able to.help! Regards, Martin

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
With regard to speed on the ST1300, this is of course an electronic pick of on the drivertrain.... if you can't get the data there is an alternative that they can use.

A pick off can be mounted on the front or rear wheel by using the disc mounting bolts, OR, you can use the existing ABS sensor ring and mount an additional pick up.... OR they can tap into the existing ABS sensor circuit.... but take care and use either opto isolation or a diode to prevent electrical issues with the ABS.

Pulses can then be calculated accordingly rather than measured.

I used to have to use various methods when fitting calibrated speedometer and video systems to Police traffic cars in the UK and Europe.... although because our system had a video screen and a calibration system, I could get pulse counts on screen.... there is a very wide variance on pulses per mile between vehicle manufacturers.

Most motorcycles had to have a sensor/pulse generator put in-line on the speedo drive cable.....

As another alternative, the cruise control could use tacho pulses instead... this could be calibrated in use by having a calibration routine at a set road or engine speed.

All that said, a cruise control does not actually need to know what speed it is being set at, simply that it is being set at a particular pulse rate that it needs to hold!

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Pretty exciting as the quality is really good & it's cheaper than any other I've seen available for the ST so far.
If price is a concern, the business end of his product is an Audiovox Ultracruise II (P/N 250-1316, manufactured by Rostra) that retails for about $260. (Pictures are in the installation manual.)

The Ultracruise has been installed on the ST before, and there's an article about it that includes all of the settings. The VSS in the ST is before the final drive and generates more pulses than most cruise controls can handle, so you'll need to install a pulse divider for it to work.

Also worth considering is the Audiovox CCS-100, which is also manufactured by Rostra and sold in a generic version by Murph's Kits for under $200. The CCS-100 is the predecessor to the Ultracruise, is well-understood and can be driven from one of the coil wires instead of the VSS.

--Mark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I think the ST is listed as 80k ppm on the VSS. Square wave signal.

If cost is a consideration, check ebay. I picked up one of the electric style Rostra kits (250-1223) brand new for $120.
Spend an afternoon or two and get close and personal with your ST putting it on.

Top Bottom