OP
OP
kappy5003
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Well guys update on AnaSTasia.

Carby's all cleaned, and back on.

Check all linkages vacuum lines, hold my breath Ignition blast off, still needed choke once again no idle.

So adjust idle cable and manage to maintain idle at around 1100-1200rpm.

Pull out carby sync tool
Check No 4 which is base reading 5.5
No 1 10.5
No 3 8.5
No 2 7.5
A little bit out one would say, so I adjust all and reduce idle to normal and guess what I have idle.

However still note quite right, so for what ever reason I start pulling of plug leads.

Remove No 2 lead very noticeable change almost stall.
Remove No 4 lead same result
Remove No 3 lead same result
Remove No 1 and almost no change and as I pulling cap out of plug hole i notice the end of the cap arch all the way out.
So I think its fair to say lead may be faulty, all the others no arcing.
Maybe fair to say my problem all along, why didn't I check 1st don't know.
Anyway my Carbs are nice and clean.

So would it be a fair assessment that plug lead is faulty?.

BTW when ever I come into this site I see all these little avatars everywhere indicating NO HOTLINK, now as I understand the basis of this it designed to stop uses from downloading pic from a particular site in a way that the uses the hosts bandwidth.

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I'm a newby ST owner, but I've dealt with tons of bad ignitions. I think it's very likely you've found the problem. You might try running the bike in the dark - spark leaks are very visible in a dark room, I've seen old Pontiacs light up real pretty. Also, I believe these are lost spark motors where a single coil fires two cylinders so a bad lead to one plug could play havoc with the twin, impacting the performance of both cylinders. Good luck. BTW, your pic after stripping the bike down made me jump - wow, great job fitting everything back together.

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Hi Kappy. It's looking like a complete machine again. Really like the two tone color in your profile pic. My guess, and only a guess, would be just the lead is bad if the paired cylinder continues to fire regularly. Are the leads long enough you can swap them or perhaps swap from the other coil and see if the problem moves to another cylinder?

OP
OP
kappy5003
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I swapped over end caps, no difference.

Ive got another lead and coil coming to try.

Looks as though I'll have to pull the air cleaner off to get at the coils.

Bit busy ATM so may not be seen to till the weekend.

DAS

STOC #
You're making great progress. Hope you finish up soon - it's almost full on riding season there.

Top Bottom