Digital SLR Preferences, Questions, and Confusion

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I wonder how many of us are truly limited by the camera's ability and specifications???
I think you are right, you don't catch more fish because you bought a new pole, but when I bought my full frame camera the cropped sensors where really noisy in low light and software noise reduction blurred all the detail out of a photo. Today I would be perfectly happy with a crop sensor camera and wide angle lens. I even think my Sony point and shoot does a great job but then I am no longer a pixel peeper ;)

Gerhard

Bike
07 ST1300A
I wonder how many of us are truly limited by the camera's ability and specifications???
I sure am not. The 7D is more than adequate for me. There have been days when I have lusted after a 5D, but sanity has prevailed. If I determine I need a more capable camera I can always pick up a used (couple of generations old) 1 series body. That is where the best deals are to be had!
--Ram (Canonite)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
say, "Don't buy this one!"
I doubt they will as it might affect them getting the 'next' camera early.

I have used them for comparisons and their technical reviews to see layout and features and like them for those.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Depends on how seriously you pursue photography, I suppose. Like motorcycling, we've all reached a point where we've out-grown our motorcycle, and moved to something else that better suits your current style (i.e. touring, off-road), or gives you more range and power to suit what you want to do.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
A good photographer can figure out how to make interesting images with whatever camera he has.

--Mark
Exactly my point!
It's not the (fill in the blank), but the person using it.
I wonder,,, here I go again,,, what % of the camera price do people spend on a photography course?
I'm guessing 0-5 would cover most of us.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Exactly my point!
It's not the (fill in the blank), but the person using it.
I wonder,,, here I go again,,, what % of the camera price do people spend on a photography course?
I'm guessing 0-5 would cover most of us.
... and what % of the motorcycle cost to people spend on rider courses?

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
As many have already stated: a good photographer can capture a great picture, no what camera he/she is using!
I use a Nikon D7100 with an old Nikon D70 for backup (with various lenses). I just happen to like Nikon.
For those trying to decide among FX, DX, 35mm, 4x5, etc. sensors, before you make up your mind, watch this video:
http://dedpxl.com/crop-or-crap-math-or-moment/

Good luck and happy shooting,

Dale :D

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
As many have already stated: a good photographer can capture a great picture, no what camera he/she is using!
I always cringe when in a store and I hear a salesman telling someone that "this is the same body many professionals use as their backup".

yeah.. it might be a true statement, but just because you have the same body does not mean you have the same lens, training or eye and practice.

Unless they are an action shooting photog, they don't really need the latest and greatest.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I think the rarest skill in photography is "precognition"; The ability to visualize what you want the photo to look like before you shoot it. That's what drives the need for technical know-how afterwards. Without it, you're just pressing a shutter.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I think the rarest skill in photography is "precognition"; The ability to visualize what you want the photo to look like before you shoot it.
That is my biggest problem for sure!!!
Well... at least regarding photography. :)

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I have had a few cameras. I don't how to use any of them. Set it (Canon 6D) on P and shoot away. The camera has way more possibilities than my mind can ever master. What I have noticed over the years is that the level/cost is directly proportionate to the ability to focus fast and sharp in a dimly lit situation. Everything takes good pictures in bright sunlight these days. Try capturing a shot in a restaurant or wedding hall when the lights are low or outside after dusk. That's what separates things for me. Maybe if I knew how to use it to begin with there wouldn't be as much of a difference? All the articles I read say spend the cash on the lens as that will make a greater difference than the body?

The debate between full frame sensor and cropped sensor is one I have an opinion on. I have both. Hanging a 100mm lens on a 1.6 factor body may mathematically work out to be a 160mm but I think there's a bit of trickery involved in that notion. I like the full frame better.

Just like motorcycles these days, all of the manufacturers are making great products.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I think the rarest skill in photography is "precognition"; The ability to visualize what you want the photo to look like before you shoot it. That's what drives the need for technical know-how afterwards. Without it, you're just pressing a shutter.
whaddya mean,

1. park bike
2. take a picture of the bike with SOMETHING behind it
3. ride a bit more
4. repeat 1-3

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but I think there's a bit of trickery involved in that notion.
It's just basic physics and it's only trickery if somebody misrepresents the difference between a camera/lens combination of a full frame and smaller sensor cameras.

A good full frame camera is great but not everybody can appreciate the advantages. That's why so many people are happy with the results of smaller sensors. Good glass makes a difference too but not everybody cares. And a great picture can be meaningful even if there are some minor technical imperfections. You just need to know your priorities.

Years ago I had a lot of fun with film shooting 6x6. It was a little pricey compared to 35mm but the results were amazing. There's no way I'd consider digital full frame medium-format.

I think most people over-think the gear they need to do what they want. And knowing they want to do is about the biggest hurdle they'll face.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The only camera I'm familiar with on the B&H site is the Canon T3i. I'm surprised at the refurbished price of $784 for this camera kit because I bought this same setup, brand new, w/ the 2 lenses plus a tripod, carrying bag, spare memory card, etc. , in October of 2012 for $799 shipped at Buydig.com. It was on sale at the time; I think because the T4i had recently come out. I see now that the price has gone up to $849 brand new @ Buydig but that's still only $65 difference between refurbished and brand new. Maybe the higher end refurbished cameras have bigger discounts @ B&H???

The T3i is my first entry into digital SLRs and even though it is sort of an "entry level" SLR, it takes beautiful pictures. So far I haven't gone much beyond manual focus & point & shoot but I'm planning on getting into other aspects of it soon now that I've got the time. Bought a book on this specific camera plus a general photography book a couple of weeks ago. A hobby like this will mesh quite well with my love of traveling.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I ended up Renting a Nikon and a Canon for a weekend each. A 6D and a D610.

In the end, I preferred the D610 a bit more than the 6D, but a coworker heard of my situation and sold me his Canon 5D Mk II for a price I couldn't pass up.

So, now for a nice 50mm lens to start the collection.

That's another discussion, I guess!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Congrats East, that's a great body.....although pricey, consider the 24-70 lens, it covers a lot of focal lengths in one lens.......have fun..........ff

Top Bottom