1995 st1100A ABS front wheel bearing

After 400 miles this weekend on our new ST1100 (86K) I felt the front bearings let go as I pulled into work monday (first ride to the shop)

So after a few hours hunting thru here and youtube I ended up getting the parts and swaping them out..

Now Im new..and after a 10yr hiatus in riding (and totaly falling in love with my new to me ST!! 86K on her and butter smooth bike..dispite the damage from being blown over 6 months ago during a TORNADO at the previous owners work..(made big news here in columbus ohio!))...However being new doesnt mean Im a Greenhorn when it comes to vehicles. I built and raced 4x4s and all sorts of buggies over the years..built bicycles and Im a Master plumber and Tradesman..so Im pretty mechanicaly inclined.

45min from wheel off to wheel on...including having to knock one of the bearings back out after I forgot the sleeve...and the wheel back off after total reassembly and seeing the right side spacer laying next to my tool box...(grr..dang people distracting me)..

I thought it rode smooth before!!!

Cant yet upload pictures..but right side was totaly dry and seals long gone and some bearings vaporized..

the bearing size is in fact

6004 cost me $11 from Applied Bearings (lucky to have a real bearing store in the little town of Newark where I work and cheaper than $25 from my local honda dealer)

I didnt end up being able to find the seals so I cleaned them and put a light coat of wheel bearing grease on them and reinstalled.

Heres a link to their online parts manuals that I referanced.
http://www.hondapowerstore.com/fiche_select1.asp?cat=Motorcycles&mfg=Honda

I spent 15 years in a 4x4 club and enjoyed the forums there..Im glad to be aboard and looking forward to meeting new folks and building frienships based on sharing Tech support, Beer, Food and insults...

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I always get my bearings from CBR bearings. They sell high quality lifetime bearings and actually know what a ST1100 is. Their sets come with all the right seals, etc. Just something to file away for future reference. ;-)

OP
OP
I saw they come highly recommended!! I was in a pinch being 38 miles from home..but I forsee a set being ordered to hang on the wall in the garage..

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I always get my bearings from CBR bearings. They sell high quality lifetime bearings and actually know what a ST1100 is. Their sets come with all the right seals, etc. Just something to file away for future reference. ;-)
That's good to know.

OP
OP
shes getting rears and timing chain when the snows flying here in ohio..which could be next week the way this state is!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Welcome.
CBR are great guys for sure.
Just a note, do not order that timing chain,,,the 1100 uses a belt!:)
They can be sourced from Amazon I believe. Same belt, just does not say Honda on it and is cheaper. Chances are Gates makes them for Honda so it is safe. i have not seen where anyone has had an issue with them.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
+1 - That's really good to know.

OP
OP
Welcome.
CBR are great guys for sure.
Just a note, do not order that timing chain,,,the 1100 uses a belt!:)
They can be sourced from Amazon I believe. Same belt, just does not say Honda on it and is cheaper. Chances are Gates makes them for Honda so it is safe. i have not seen where anyone has had an issue with them.
Belt!! yeah..that what I ment (hard for an old school motor-head to get used to timing "belt")...

I buy a ton of parts off of amazon for vehicles!! Saved myself thousands doing it too!!

Top Bottom