Low dough KTM tow

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
My direct tow experiment didn't work so I picked up this trailer on CL. I am going to try to make this as low to the ground and as light as I can. The KTM weighs 249 lbs and the trailer should be about 80 when I get done. The Reese Backpacker is rated for a 750# GVW so I should be fine. I am pressed for time and money on this project so don't expect much other than a basic rail on wheels.

Attachments

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Have you drug the trailer yet? I plan on one for my bike. Was planning something a little longer tongued and a long slim box. Wondering how yours pulls?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
That's a pretty interesting way to haul the KTM in the first picture... guess the front wheel is strapped to the bike somehow? The "Backpacker" frame looks a lot like a harbor freight design. I've racked my little brain trying to figure out a lightweight hauler for a rescue trailer to pull behind the truck or my Goldwing. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

OP
OP
playinatwork
Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I only towed it home from the prior owner but it did fine. I was apprehensive about it for no reason. I am looking forward to towing the dirt bike with it.

OP
OP
playinatwork
Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
The torsion on the triple clamps was too great when leaned over. The triple clamps would twist on a lean and not come back to true when straightened up. I haven't given up on the idea. I just ran out of time and needed to have something by next week

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Have you drug the trailer yet? I plan on one for my bike. Was planning something a little longer tongued and a long slim box. Wondering how yours pulls?
I have thought about a trailer with a removable storage container that I can put in the back of the tow vehicle. With the storage box removed the rail is exposed so I can haul the ST1300. When I get where I want the motorcycle trip to begin I will take the bike off the trailer put the storage box back on and 2 wheel it. I think you could build a trailer simple and light to haul your KTM on to pull behind your ST.

OP
OP
playinatwork
Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
View attachment 157973View attachment 1579739-29-14 012.JPGWell I pretty much finished it up over the weekend. All I have yet to do is tidy up some wiring. I have 36 pounds of tongue weight with both me and the KTM on the bike. The hitch is 12" off the ground and the rear of the trailer is 13". The trailer weighs 62 pounds. 9-29-14 017.JPG

I'd planned to add a crossmember forward of the front wheel of the KTM but the existing eye bolts are almost directly below the handlebars and it is a very sturdy setup the way it is. The rail holding the bike is part of an old hitch mounted bike carrier that was in a buddy's salvage pile. All told I have $248.00 in it including the rattle can paint. Not sure the swivel ball does any good but it's nice to have on there.

Attachments

OP
OP
playinatwork
Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
If I find this to work well I will bolt a tote to the trailer. I'll likely add some KTM50 front fenders and drop the springs below the axle also.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
VERY cool!
Well done Sir.
Love it! A great way to take the dirt bike or dual sport to the off road area.

OP
OP
playinatwork
Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't know yet. I have room on either side of the bike.
The only thing I am having trouble figuring out where to carry are my off road boots. I've got room on the ST for everything else when I add my tank bag and tailpack.

OP
OP
playinatwork
Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
I logged over 2000 miles in 4 days towing the KTM with a third of that being twisties. The ST and trailer did great. I even got a thumbs up from troopers in Va and Ga. They both pulled in behind me and I thought I was going to get lit up. Then they just eased past and gave me a thumbs up. Sweet.

Last edited:

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Good to hear it worked great. You could use 2 long heavy duty ty-wraps and attach your boots to the frame rails.

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Perhaps build a box on each side to double as fenders as well they could have the required hooks as shown and still have flip open lids to store required gear, fuel, tools etc., your handy, we are waiting... Great job.

Top Bottom