Helmets helmet visor

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm trying to locate a "soft" visor that I can velcro to the shield of my modular helmet. I am using a HJC modular, but riding into the sun with the inner shield down and sun glasses, the glare still kills me. I keep going back to my open face because it has a visor. Anybody have any ideas?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Did you try a mirror tinted visor?

I used a mirrored visor and the inner shield and it drops the light enough I am comfortable.
Did this both with my HJC modular and my Nolan.
Just one tint alone is not enough drop in brightness for me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm trying to locate a "soft" visor that I can velcro to the shield of my modular helmet. I am using a HJC modular, but riding into the sun with the inner shield down and sun glasses, the glare still kills me. I keep going back to my open face because it has a visor. Anybody have any ideas?
I put a strip of black electrical tape cut to about 1/2" wide across the top edge of the drop-down visor. It's just enough to block out the low sun angles.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I've used a product called a 'SuperVisor' for 10 years, and I am very happy with it. It's not soft (it is made of firm, but slightly flexible plastic), however, it doesn't get in the way at all, and it does an excellent job of blocking the sun.

Here's a link to their website: Super-Visor.

Michael

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I put a strip of electrical tape across the bottom of the face shield, and then can position it to block the sun, with the inner visor down.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I carry 6" strips of blue painter's masking tape rolled on a Motrin bottle in my tankbag. If you leave electrical tape on too long it will damage a Shoei faceshield, BTDT. The masking tape won't. Put the tape on for the normally short time that it's needed and then peel and toss. Sometimes only opaque will do. However, if conditions are bad/unsafe, don't risk it, pull over and take a break. FWIW. YMMV

John
via iPhone 4S

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I carry 6" strips of blue painter's masking tape rolled on a Motrin bottle in my tankbag. If you leave electrical tape on too long it will damage a Shoei faceshield, BTDT. The masking tape won't. Put the tape on for the normally short time that it's needed and then peel and toss. Sometimes only opaque will do. However, if conditions are bad/unsafe, don't risk it, pull over and take a break. FWIW. YMMV

John
via iPhone 4S
How does the electrical tape damage the Shoei visor? I've had this strip on my Neotec for maybe a couple years now with no visible effects. I don't remove it though and consider it a permanent part of the drop-down sun visor. It's not on the clear outer face shield .

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
How does the electrical tape damage the Shoei visor? I've had this strip on my Neotec for maybe a couple years now with no visible effects. I don't remove it though and consider it a permanent part of the drop-down sun visor. It's not on the clear outer face shield .
John, never mind or disregard. I found this older thread on the subject.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?133711-Faceshield-Suggestions-for-Dealing-with-Low-Hanging-Sun&p=1739756#post1739756

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
How does the electrical tape damage the Shoei visor?
My guess is that the solvent in the adhesive reacts with the water-repellent/scratch resistant coating of the mains-visor.
The internal, drop-down sun-visor might not be coated.

I don't even use window-cleaner (some contain like alcohol & methylated spirits) and paper-towels on my visors; the alcohol/spirits can soften the coating/plastic, enabling the wooden-fibres in the paper to create scratches...
Only mild liquid soap, running water and my soft fingertips for cleaning...

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I really like the idea of the Sun visor, but I like riding with my shield up most of the time. I am thinking that this would be a bad combination?

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Go get a visor like the one on on the open face unit and velcro it to your modular, or install snap bases and snap it on
worked for me.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I really like the idea of the Sun visor, but I like riding with my shield up most of the time. I am thinking that this would be a bad combination?
If you are referring to the Super-Visor (pictured below), I have found that with the face-shield (clear shield) up, there is a bit more wind resistance generated by the visor sticking into the windstream. This is not really noticable or problematic at city speeds, but can be a bit of a nuisance at highway speeds. It pulls your head back.

Having said that, I usually put the clear shield (to which the Super-Visor is attached) down for highway riding, that moots the problem. I have not noticed any increase in wind resistance when riding at high speed (up to 200 km/h steady speeds in Germany) with the visor attached and the clear shield down.

It is possible to remove the visor from the helmet, because it is attached with industrial-spec Velcro strips. But, I don't think that it was designed for constant removal & replacement, my guess is that the adhesive side of the Velcro would start to peel from the visor or the face-shield if it was removed more than 50 or 100 times.

I've had mine for over 10 years, I am very satisfied with it. For $20, you can't go too far wrong.

Michael

'Super-Visor' helmet visor

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Does anyone have one of these Super-Visor visors on a Shoei Neotec? I am curious to know if it eliminates or drastically reduces the amount of air that can enter the center vent on top of the helmet- would make for a warm ride if so.

Top Bottom