Does not start after sitting for a year

Bike
2003 ST1300A
The battery is good it has been on a charger. Unfortunately I failed to drain the tank or add an additive. I suspect that the fuel is bad and has plugged things up. The engine cranks but will not fire. I was wondering about what the best approach would be to trouble shoot things. I had been out of the country and just got back but the ST is not cooperating.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
As you are looking at how to drain a 1300 fuel tank, you have a 1300. Mice have been known to chew through fuel injection wires, along with the fuel clogging things up. Good luck.

RCS

I added about a half a bottle of Seafoam to the gasoline when that happened to me. Then, I pulled in the front brake and rocked the bike back and forth for ten seconds five separate times. Then, I let it sit for several hours. Afterwards it cranked up on the second try.

I attribute my issue to having a small bit of water in the lowest part of the secondary tank and the Seafoam made its way down there and absorbed it.

If you have a siphon I would try to empty the primary, upper, gasoline tank before adding the Seafoam. That may even work better.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like your gas has gone south on you. I would drain it out and put SeaFoam and fresh gas back in and try that. But you could also have the wires chewed up on the fuel injectors. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I bet it will start without a fuel drain. Cycle the fuel pump a few times (kill switch), and Try again. And do run some fuel treatment.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Thanks. No critters in the garage so I think it is fuel related. My bad for not storing it properly. In the process of draining the upper and lower tanks. Bit of a pain. Will let you know if new gas and some sea foam gets it going.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You might pull a spark plug and see if it's in good condition. In the old days cranking a bike enough that didn't fire the plugs could cause one or more to become gas fouled.

Combine that with old gas and you'll have a tough time starting it.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
i remember filling up in AZ and they didn't add ethanol to the fuel there. I would think the gas would last that long in a dry climate without that crap in the gas.

Top Bottom