Broke my Chinavision Rage

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I took the Rage out of its cradle and put it on the bike seat. Then I put my helmet down on top of it to get something out of the topper. When I picked up the helmet I swept the Rage off the seat and onto the garage floor, ouch!

Now all the Rage will do is begin the startup process with the car picture then die about 6 seconds into the process. I've tried the reset button, with the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be wrong or how to fix it?

v8-7

Site Supporter
I don't know much about what it could be, but since the start -up is working, I would replace the SD chip and see if the damage was there .

OP
OP
MajorTom

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I don't know much about what it could be, but since the start -up is working, I would replace the SD chip and see if the damage was there .
I think it's failing before the Primo GPS software on the SD chip starts, as there's no Primo startup screen, just the initial Windows CD startup screen. I've looked at the SD chip on the computer and don't see anything wrong there. At least it mounts. When I connect the Rage to the computer it doesn't mount as a drive, either with or without the SD card in the GPS. It does the 6 second boot and die routine then too, as I have it set to boot when connected to power.

I should also mention that the red charging light doesn't come on when it's connected to power.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sounds like the motherboard went out. If you have a little patience, you can get them apart. You have to remove the double rubber plugs in the back and start taking out screws. If it's dead, not much else you can do other than crack it apart and see what's in there.

OP
OP
MajorTom

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Sounds like the motherboard went out. If you have a little patience, you can get them apart. You have to remove the double rubber plugs in the back and start taking out screws. If it's dead, not much else you can do other than crack it apart and see what's in there.
I was afraid that might be the case, but was hoping someone might have a trick up their sleeve to get it booted, or the file system visible through the USB link.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
First thing would be to pull the micro sd card out since the system will normally 'boot' with no card. That puts you at the 'basic' machine. If you can't get to it via the USB port, then taking it apart or pitching it is about your only option if the reset didn't work. BTW, I just got a GEN 2 rage and the GPS chip set seems to be a little more 'aggressive' on this one (USB port died on a GEN 1, they repaired it, then the USPS lost it - bought it with my refund and some extra dollars I had to kick in). However, no confirmation that the next GEN 2 will work that well is expressed or implied ... ;-)

My Rage will not seat the micro SD card. I'm a gentle, careful person with equipment and I only push it down slowly until I hear and feel the first 'click' but I'm not getting that anymore. The card comes back out flush to the orange plastic lip. The spring tension is there, just not the retention.

All this after just succeeding last night in getting the POI lists to finally appear with an upgrade to the global_config.zip. I thought I was finally going to get this thing working. Not happy. Still can't recommend this unit to anyone but hackers - which sometimes includes me.

Top Bottom