Where have all the ST's gone?

Bike
2010 ST1300
My apologies to Pete Seeger.

We just returned from a nearly 3000 mile (car) trip from Ohio, through New York, into Canada, then down through rural Maine to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. The trip home went south through Maine to Boston, then down to I-80 and west back home. My wife and I were on our annual vacation for three weeks and I was on the lookout for ST's - for that matter, all motorcycles. We do the vacation by car because she does not like bikes. The legs out from home and back were on interstates, with a fair amount of driving on state routes from Seboomook Lake south to Acadia Nat Park.

I saw, in decreasing order of numbers, Harleys, BMW's, Gold Wings, several trikes (a Gold Wing, a few Can Am's, one Harley) two Victory's (pretty distinctive at a distance), and a smattering of smaller bikes and crotch rockets around town(s). Not a single ST, FJR or Concours. It is obvious why Harley leads the crowd - I read somewhere that HD outsells all other motorcycle brands in the USA. There were quite a few BMW GS's, the occasional RT, and K bikes. The Gold Wings I saw were usually heavily accessoried.

So, where were all the ST's hiding (besides the one in my own garage)? Sure, there are relatively few ST's on the roads compared to some other bikes, but I've seen at least one or two at each of several MC rallies this spring and summer. Any ideas?

P.S. It was truly a wonderful vacation. If anyone has any thoughts about riding in Maine, just go. Acadia Nat Park has a great campground that tends to empty out in September once the kids go back to school (and before the leaf peepers come out). And if you can, drive through Vermont and New Hampshire - fabulous roads.

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I wish I could tell you I too traveled from Upstate, NY to Louisville KY and back on my ST twice this summer and only saw a couple of ST's both 1300 and 1100s. I had to assume they were out on the back roads or stuck at work. I wished I would of rode to Vermont and around as this weekend as a leaf peeper lol.

Gary

Bike
Katana 1100f
STOC #
Yes I know what ya mean must have seen a couple of hundred bikes up north riding this weekend and a total of 2 st's and one fjr

RCS

I do the Ny/Oh route often but mostly start my travels at half past dark and it is raining about half the time.

Unlike you I rarely see the Harley's, BMW's, etc.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
They must have all come up to Quebec. I usually see very few ST's on the roads around here. I did about 300 miles on back roads today and must have seen around a dozen ST1300's and a couple of ST1100's- very unusual.

Jack B

Let's Ride
Bike
2013 F6B
I see St's but not like you see H.D.'s or Goldwing's. But they are out there. Last year before I bought my ST1300, a white St1300 followed me for 2 or 3 hours later I found out that only police have white ST's. Good thing I wasn't speeding.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
not sure but I passed 9 on Saturday and that did not count the 4 in our group.
My apologies to Pete Seeger.

We just returned from a nearly 3000 mile (car) trip from Ohio, through New York, into Canada, then down through rural Maine to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. The trip home went south through Maine to Boston, then down to I-80 and west back home. My wife and I were on our annual vacation for three weeks and I was on the lookout for ST's - for that matter, all motorcycles. We do the vacation by car because she does not like bikes. The legs out from home and back were on interstates, with a fair amount of driving on state routes from Seboomook Lake south to Acadia Nat Park.

I saw, in decreasing order of numbers, Harleys, BMW's, Gold Wings, several trikes (a Gold Wing, a few Can Am's, one Harley) two Victory's (pretty distinctive at a distance), and a smattering of smaller bikes and crotch rockets around town(s). Not a single ST, FJR or Concours. It is obvious why Harley leads the crowd - I read somewhere that HD outsells all other motorcycle brands in the USA. There were quite a few BMW GS's, the occasional RT, and K bikes. The Gold Wings I saw were usually heavily accessoried.

So, where were all the ST's hiding (besides the one in my own garage)? Sure, there are relatively few ST's on the roads compared to some other bikes, but I've seen at least one or two at each of several MC rallies this spring and summer. Any ideas?

P.S. It was truly a wonderful vacation. If anyone has any thoughts about riding in Maine, just go. Acadia Nat Park has a great campground that tends to empty out in September once the kids go back to school (and before the leaf peepers come out). And if you can, drive through Vermont and New Hampshire - fabulous roads.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's only because you went the wrong direction on your trip! If you would have been around the Grand Canyon (the first week in September), you would have seen this:

ST1300sOnTrip.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A '10
I see a good number of STs and FJRs out West.
This. I've toured all of the lower 48 several times and a fair chunk of Canada and for me seeing sport touring mounts tends to be area and road specific. Out west, particularly the coast, I tend to see a sport touring bikes fairly often. In the east, particularly the northeast, not so much. Harley's and Wings tend to be interstate dwellers. The more two-lane, particularly in the twisty bits, the more likely you are to see sport and sport touring mounts. For me the really odd thing is the dual-sports. I see tons of GS and GSA's on interstates and in large cities but rarely encounter them on the gravel anywhere. I'm guessing if you had a map color-coded for bike-class ownership concentrations you'd see some pretty strong geographic skews, other than maybe for Harley's which seem to be everywhere.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
I guess the Dual Sport motorcycle is like the SUV in automobiles. Not many of them spend much time off road, but many are on road.
Kenny

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
There's a regular weekend meeting point about 10 miles from us where in good weather there may be about 150-200 bikes at any one time, but I'm usually the only ST up there.

However, thanks to the adventures of Ewan and Charlie there are loads of GSA's that arrive loaded with boxes, head-cams, and their full compliment of Touratech ready for a 10,000 mile adventure.... and then return home 30 minutes later, safe and sound until next weekend. :rolleyes:

But it's still a great place with a variety of bikes - among the throng this Sunday there was an elderly MZ, a genuine Triton cafe racer, a babble of 1980's two-strokes, an MV Augusta, Ducatis... you name it, and surprisingly two more ST13's and an 1100.

Good coffee, tea, snacks, and conversation... what more can you need?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wish I could have got a picture of 6 ST's riding side by last month in my area on Highway 154, they all belonged to Santa Babara City Police department. That was an awesome site!! :D

Top Bottom