New R1200R and R1200RS

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
More wasserboxer-powered variants from BMW.

LINKY

LINKY2

Is it just me or do these look Japanese, designwise? In any event, I think they look nice. The RS with panniers and a top case could be interesting indeed.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Wow, neat!!

The R1200R looks a lot like the Yamaha MT-09/FZ-09 doesnt it?

The R1200RS, sport touring, looks more attractive that the 1200RT (to my young eyes) :D . How'd one choose between the 1200RS & 1200RT ?

Regards,
Vishnu

The R1200RS, sport touring, looks more attractive that the 1200RT (to my young eyes) . How'd one choose between the 1200RS & 1200RT ?
Ergonomics, and exposure management will be the most significant variables. I will guess pillion comfort will come a close second. The RS will likely weigh in 70-80 lighter than the RT before you add panniers. Hopefully this will appease the strongly opinionated 'pundits' of shaft drive and electric screens being the measure of a sport-touring bike. :rolleyes:

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Ergonomics, and exposure management will be the most significant variables. I will guess pillion comfort will come a close second. The RS will likely weigh in 70-80 lighter than the RT before you add panniers. Hopefully this will appease the strongly opinionated 'pundits' of shaft drive and electric screens being the measure of a sport-touring bike. :rolleyes:
Interesting points, yes!

So if I were to humbly put the question to you, regarding choosing either the RS or RT, would you take the RS?

It seems like the RS wouldn't be as pillion-Comfy as the RT :-(

Interesting points, yes!

So if I were to humbly put the question to you, regarding choosing either the RS or RT, would you take the RS?

It seems like the RS wouldn't be as pillion-Comfy as the RT :-(
Your asking to qualify an intangible. Ask me after I ride one.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Well, the RT comes with cruise control, the RS does not (for some lame reason). That would be a deal killer for me even though I think it is a sharp looking motorcycle.

Dan

thepaleobiker

Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Your asking to qualify an intangible. Ask me after I ride one.
Ah, that's a very fair point my good sir. I was imagining the comfort purely based on the seat height/configuration. Oh well, reviews are awaited :)

Bergmen said:
Well the RT comes with Cruise control, the RS does not
Thank you, I wasnt aware of this difference.

Well, the RT comes with cruise control, the RS does not (for some lame reason). That would be a deal killer for me even though I think it is a sharp looking motorcycle.

Dan
Really? A good friend of mine is a dealer principal, and he says they don't have actual specs yet... so... ???

The S1000R and RR both get CC, why wouldn't this?

I saw both of the new R models at the IMS last weekend, both very nice. As for the earlier, unfounded conjecture, both models are available with cruise control! Also - dynamic damping, dynamic traction control, and a user customizable ride mode give these models better rubber to ground performance/safety technology than is available in other R or K models. In general, I don't see the RS being a two up touring substitute for the RT as the RT scores with many as being superior to the K's in that arena, its air management is phenomenal. Some will score the differences with more or less concern, for one up I would LOVE to add an RS to the stable, can't wait to ride one!

Top Bottom