First impressions

First impressions!

Those are my very first impressions after ten days and a thousand Milles.
First I have to say that I?m coming from a Busa, so my opinion is based on an inevitable comparison between a SPORT-touring bike (the Busa) to a TOURING ?sport bike (the ST, also called Pan-European), at least this is my vision.

-Smoothness: probably a combination of the V4 architecture, flat torque curve and other parameters such as suspensions. The Busa was a lot more impressive but it?s not a problem regarding the goal of the ST, which is quite different.
-Windshield: the beginning of problems! Or ?the? problem, should I say? At this point, I found a position for all the situations, which is a compromise, but really under what I was expecting. I read a lot about the subject, and finally I should start by customizing the brackets as described in the different -very well done- thread.
-suspension: once again, the comparison is cruel, so I won?t do it! However, I don?t feel confident, no feedback, I?ve to work on the setting.:confused::(
-luggage! Of course, what a pleasure! No doubt, it?s comfortable, no question about loading. I removed the top case for commuting. I?ll bring it back when I will travel with my wife! :D
-Seat: at the beginning, I thought it was unbearable, but today the OEM windshield has stolen the 1rst position! This is not a big problem, there is so many craftsmen?s to realize what you want. In France, JM. Briant is well known: http://www.sellerie-jeanmarc-briant.com
-Lighting : I thought I have to immediately convert into a HID system, but I was surprised to see how the OEM equipment well works. Of course, HID will improve it, but it?s not on the top of the ?to do list?.

Just to conclude at this step, this bike starts to change my way of riding. Safer (or maybe more slowly which is slightly different!). However, this is a good point. Not that I was a fool before (at least hope so), but the ST invites you to ride in a different manner in accordance with its own.

Thank you for reading me, your opinion/help are welcome !

So long !
FranckyPan the froggy

OP
OP
FranckyPan
Hi,

It's me again after some hundreds Milles over.
I'm a little bit confused...
Today I've been riding a while with my wife.
The roads were bumpy, the windshield always windy, the seat pfffff...no pleasure : have I made the bad choice ?
No, hope so.
I'm sad, but I know what to do, just question me why this has not been originally designed ?
Good point : back home, we were not so tired : this bike is made for long trip and it's why I bought it !

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Francky,

When I bought my ST the first two items I changed were the windshield and the seat. There are many good aftermarket options here, so you will find replacements that work good for you.
These are pretty personal items that not everyone agrees on, so if you have the chance to try something before buying, I would do it.
The next changes I made were adding a set of Gen 3 Helibar risers, and changing the entire suspension. I also ride sportbikes, and I recently sold my "Busa, so I understand your comment.
I went with Racetech springs and gold valves for the front end, and a new spring and shock with remote adjustment from Progressive for the rear. The suspension changes completely transformed the bike. Gone is the poorly damped and under-sprung feel, and the bike now has excellent road feel and inspires confidence in the twisties and at high speeds.

I have never owned a motorcyle that did not need some modifications from stock to make it better suited to me. After everything I've done to my ST, it has become by far the finest, most comfortable long distance platform I have ever owned. I hope yours turns out to be the same for you.

Garry
Gilbert, AZ.

OP
OP
FranckyPan
Hi Garry,

Thanks a lot for your comments, it will help me to spend a good night (11:30 PM here).
I know you're right and as you're also coming from a Busa it makes me confident.

Franck

Bike
Vstrom 650
Hi Garry,

Thanks a lot for your comments, it will help me to spend a good night (11:30 PM here).
I know you're right and as you're also coming from a Busa it makes me confident.

Franck
Hi Franck,have you any contacts with top sellerie over there to get me a seat for my ST1100:)

Top Bottom