Plastic cover over handlebars?

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm thinking of giving the risers a try...
I fitted 'Poor Man's Risers' on my ST 1100. That consists of just buying an additional 2 pieces of the top clamp of the handlebar and a couple of longer than normal bolts, then installing the 2 new top clamps upside-down on top of the existing bottom clamps.

After doing that, I was able to put the original plastic cover back on again, although there was a slight gap around the ignition switch (exactly like Phil's photo above).

Below is a picture of my 'Poor Man's Risers', and also a picture showing the plastic cover re-installed after the risers were fitted.

By the way - there are lots and lots of those plastic covers (both pre and post 95/96) available on eBay. My guess is that they are parts taken from ST 1100s that have been broken up for spares.

Poor Man's Risers
This is what the standard installation of the handlebars looks like.

This is what it looks like after installing a duplicate set of upper clamps, installed upside down.

The original plastic cover, re-installed after the risers were fitted
I cut a wee bit of plastic away forward of the ignition key, to make key access easier.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
By the way - there are lots and lots of those plastic covers (both pre and post 95/96) available on eBay. My guess is that they are parts taken from ST 1100s that have been broken up for spares.
Yes, but many of them are in poor condition...
PO had drilled holes, tabs broken off, plastics bleached beyond recognition by the sun...
So one needs to carefully inspect the photos in the adds there...

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
IMO the plastic handlebar cover makes the bike look like a cheap scooter, but what the heck, my ST is a little different.

OP
OP
KCST
Bike
2001 ST1100
Someone said all stock bars are black. But mine look exactly like yours. They look more bronze.
And I can't see a single one on e-bay. Every search turns up a different list of parts and there never the same.
But I think I found at least 3 members that may be selling them.

I fitted 'Poor Man's Risers' on my ST 1100. That consists of just buying an additional 2 pieces of the top clamp of the handlebar and a couple of longer than normal bolts, then installing the 2 new top clamps upside-down on top of the existing bottom clamps.

After doing that, I was able to put the original plastic cover back on again, although there was a slight gap around the ignition switch (exactly like Phil's photo above).

Below is a picture of my 'Poor Man's Risers', and also a picture showing the plastic cover re-installed after the risers were fitted.

Poor Man's Risers
This is what the standard installation of the handlebars looks like.

This is what it looks like after installing a duplicate set of upper clamps, installed upside down.

The original plastic cover, re-installed after the risers were fitted
I cut a wee bit of plastic away forward of the ignition key, to make key access easier.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I took the cover off but there are a lot of wires in there that would be left exposed if I remove the cover,the heated grip wires and the hazard lights wiring and switch that I have installed,also Martins comments about the steering feeling different with the bars raised has led me to leave things as they are.It would all look a bit messy with the cover removed.
My handlebars are also that bronze colour.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I installed 2" Rox risers and I can't ascribe them to any difference in the steering. Thousands of others have also raised their bars for more comfort, so don't let one observation force you to continue with neck, shoulder or wrist pain. The wiring is no problem either. Enclose it all within some large size heat shrink and zip tie that to the bars to make it look tidy. Here's how good it can look without the cover, once you paint certain exposed parts.

Attachments

Bike
Vstrom 650
I installed 2" Rox risers and I can't ascribe them to any difference in the steering. Thousands of others have also raised their bars for more comfort, so don't let one observation force you to continue with neck, shoulder or wrist pain. The wiring is no problem either. Enclose it all within some large size heat shrink and zip tie that to the bars to make it look tidy. Here's how good it can look without the cover, once you paint certain exposed parts.
Thanks,that's a neat looking job,where there's a will there's a way as they say,one other thing that is a concern is I have bagster tank cover and alpha tank bag,if I raise the bars will it bring them closer to the tank bag,it will blow the horn at full lock when the tank bags fitted as it is,I seen on here that some have fitted a horn protector.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I tried mounting my tank bag following my riser install and did find too much of a conflict with the bars near full lock. Oddly enough, my other 1100, with HeliBars (original type) installed, works much better with the tank bag. I'll just pack lighter to keep the comfort of the risers.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...f I raise the bars will it bring them closer to the tank bag,it will blow the horn at full lock when the tank bags fitted as it is...
There's a farkle to fix everything in the ST world. :D

The gizmo you are looking for is illustrated in the pictures below. I don't know (can't recall) who makes it or what name it is sold under, but I am pretty sure someone else here in our community will know.

Michael

Tankbag Horn Protector

Top Bottom