can't re-install right saddlebag

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
can get my right saddlebag inserted and close to re-installed however I'm about a 1/4 " short of having the lock attach to the bag.

Seems like the rail is blocking the front of the bag from slotting properly.
Closer inspection shows the grommet on the rear bolt is in bad shape Could that be the culprit?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sal

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Re: can't reinstall m right saddlebag

can get my right saddlebag inserted and close to re-installed however I'm about a 1/4 " short of having the lock attach to the bag.

Seems like the rail is blocking the front of the bag from slotting properly.
Closer inspection shows the grommet on the rear bolt is in bad shape Could that be the culprit?

Sal
'bad shape' is a bit vague, but other than that it sounds like the first thing to address. make sure the rail and the groove on the bike are both smooth, sometimes it takes a little extra push to get that last 1/4". If you just can't get it to reach then attach a picture of the rail and its bolts.

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #

I always assumed it was the orientation of the tongue that finally made it mate up properly. Of course I was getting so frustrated getting it to go my tongue was always twisting like mad and I never knew exactly what its orientation was when it finally happened. :D

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

I had that little bit of metal that you need to slot into bend; so, check it for orientation against the one on the other side.

I suggest that you tighten all the bolts holding the rail too.

OP
OP
ST4Sal

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
Turns out the rear bushing on the bracket is SHOT Ordered new one butin meantime have it Zip tied from handle to grab bar to decrease amount of bumping.

Thanks for the ideas..

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Turns out the rear bushing on the bracket is SHOT Ordered new one butin meantime have it Zip tied from handle to grab bar to decrease amount of bumping.

Thanks for the ideas..
maybe a little late, but are you talking about those rubber bushings that allow the bags to flop all around? I removed those 17 years ago and I think I put some kind of plastic or metal washer in their place in an attempt to minimize the flopping. Try getting rid of both of them (seem to remember two on each side) and use something else in their place.

OP
OP
ST4Sal

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
no I 'm talking about the grommet /bushing that a bolt goes thru to fasten the rail to the Frame(?)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
no I 'm talking about the grommet /bushing that a bolt goes thru to fasten the rail to the Frame(?)
I think we're talking about the same thing. The factory grommets allow a lot of play in the rail assembly, which allowed the bags to flop around in the breeze. So I yanked two of the three grommets and put in metal fender washers in their place. I replaced the lower one by the lock, and the upper one near the taillight, and left the upper/forward one stock. See photos. The bag flopping decreased significantly after that because the metal washers hold the rail in place more firmly than the grommets did

upper/rear IMG_2737_opt.jpg

lower/front IMG_2738_opt.jpg

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
JMNSHO, but Honda engineers quite deliberately designed the saddlebags to have some play, same as the Hondaline topcases' racks, instead of a rigid mount. Let'm flop.

John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
JMNSHO, but Honda engineers quite deliberately designed the saddlebags to have some play, same as the Hondaline topcases' racks, instead of a rigid mount. Let'm flop.

John
they still flop enough after the metal washers are installed, they just don't look like they're about to fly off the bike like they do with the rubber grommets. I remember this getting discussed a bit on the old forum, people saying car drivers would signal to them that their bags were loose and about to fall off because they flopped around so much. I've got 17 years and 100k miles on my modified version, if it was going to cause a problem I'm gonna say it would have probably happened by now. Just another data point to consider, not trying to convince anybody to do anything.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I suspect it has to do with high speed (autobahn) stability. 21 years and 177K for this data point. And a few sustained runs of 128.4 mph with topcase (closed course, professional rider, etc.). And yes, I remember, and participated in, the old ST1100 LiSTserv discussions on bag flop.

John
via iPhone 4S

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The 1100 was designed in the late 80's.I would say Honda engineering was top shelf. If they designed the bags to flop, I doubt anything bad would come from it. It is your bike farkle (modify) it how ever you want. One of the ST rider had the bungie buddy thingies on his and carried his tent pole straped across, bag to bag.

I have many many miles on an ST and no one has ever mentioned my flopping bags. :D

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...are you talking about those rubber bushings that allow the bags to flop all around?
I made two small modifications to my ST 1100 to reduce the amount of saddlebag flop, but still allow the saddlebags to move freely if necessary.

The first thing I did was to drill two holes in the rear mudguard, exactly centered on where the large rubber bumpers of the saddlebags touch the mudguard. I then installed two large bolts in each hole, choosing the bolt head size so that it was almost exactly the size of the hole in the rubber bumper on the saddlebag. Now, when I install the saddlebags, the rubber bumpers fit over the bolt head, and that minimizes any fore/aft or up/down movement of the saddlebag once it is fully installed.

Bolt Head Size relative to hole in Rubber Saddlebag Bumper

Bolt Installed in Rear Mudguard

Saddlebag Bumper fits over the Bolt Head

After completing the above modification, fore/aft and up/down movement was minimized, but lateral (outward) movement was still unrestricted. I reduced unwanted lateral movement without totally preventing movement by fitting a 'Bungee Buddy' eyelet to each saddlebag, then running a bungee cord behind the licence plate, hooking the bungee cord onto the Bungee Buddy attached to each saddlebag. This substantially reduces unwanted lateral movement, but still allows the bags to move outwards if a force is exerted on them.

Bungee Buddies attached to Saddlebags, Bungee Cord behind Licence Plate

I keep my ST 1100 in Europe, and have spent many hours riding at 200 km/h (125 MPH) between Zurich and Dresden. I've never encountered any stability problems on the Autobahn, other than that the front end gets kind of light above 220 km/h (135 MPH), but I don't think that has anything to do with saddlebags.

Michael

Top Bottom