Battery Removal Help

This is a noob question so bear with me. Can someone walk me through how to take out my battery for winter storage? Thanks.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Pour your beverage of choice
Take off the ride side saddlebag
Remove side cover
Take a sip
Disconnect Ground terminal (first)
Put blue painters tape over the terminal "cage" so you don't lose the nut into the abyss
Disconnect Positive terminal
Put blue painters tape over the terminal "cage" so you don't lose the nut into the abyss
Re-screw both connector screws into the caged nuts- so you don't loose them
Remove battery, store where it won't go below freezing- on a modern Maintainer is best
Take a sip
Put the bike back together
Cover the saddlebags with old towels- they're most likely to get rubbed against when parked
Clean the bike and cover it
Finish off the bev

Last edited:
OP
OP
Remove side cover
Take a sip
Disconnect Ground terminal (first)
Disconnect Positive terminal
Re-screw both connector screws into the caged nuts- so you don't loose them
Remove battery, store where it won't go below freezing- on a modern Maintainer is best
Take a sip
Put the bike back together
Cover the saddlebags with old towels- they're most likely to get rubbed against when parked
Clean the bike and cover it
Finish off the bev
Thanks man! You rock.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
There is a bolt and bracket that has to be removed that NORCALBUSA didn't mention. I'm not with my bike right now, but as I recall under the tupperware cover there is a cage that holds the battery snug. THe bolt is one of the hex key types and is located center of the battery, high and toward the inside of the bike (deep in there). Once it is removed, you pivot the top of the retainer down- and then off if you desire. The bottom of the retainer is held on by abs. I can look this afternoon if you still need assistance.

If you are noob and want to do some maintenance, I recommend you get a service manual. There are a few mistakes in it and its procedures are often overly complicated, but mine is very useful to me.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
There is a bolt and bracket that has to be removed that NORCALBUSA didn't mention. I'm not with my bike right now, but as I recall under the tupperware cover there is a cage that holds the battery snug. THe bolt is one of the hex key types and is located center of the battery, high and toward the inside of the bike (deep in there). Once it is removed, you pivot the top of the retainer down- and then off if you desire. The bottom of the retainer is held on by abs. I can look this afternoon if you still need assistance.

If you are noob and want to do some maintenance, I recommend you get a service manual. There are a few mistakes in it and its procedures are often overly complicated, but mine is very useful to me.
Yeah. What he said ^

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Remove side cover
Take a sip
Attach Battery Tender clips to terminals
Plug the Battery Tender into the electrical outlet
Take a sip
Finish off the bev
The AGM battery on the 1300 is sealed, and the Battery Tender won't overcharge it

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Remove side cover
Take a sip
Attach Battery Tender clips to terminals
Plug the Battery Tender into the electrical outlet
Take a sip
Finish off the bev
The AGM battery on the 1300 is sealed, and the Battery Tender won't overcharge it
Plus you won't have to try and remember how to reset the clock in the spring. :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Why take the battery out of the bike? Why not just connect a short harness to the battery for your battery tender (or equiv).? I've done this for years and never had a problem on several bikes.

This has several advantages. 1. no disassembly of the bike. 2 you won't have to reassemble the bike. 3. leaves more time for that beverage.....

Last edited:
Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I agree with just putting a trickle charger on the battery. I have a Gold Wing in MN and that's all I do for the battery during the winter. It's worked good for many years doing this.

Scott

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I agree with just putting a trickle charger on the battery. I have a Gold Wing in MN and that's all I do for the battery during the winter. It's worked good for many years doing this.

Scott
Ditto. My garage is uninsulated, unheated and the STeed stays on the Battery Tender all winter with no problems come spring. I do get the little drip of coolant over the winter but nothing serious and I'm too lazy and it's too cold in the winter to take the tupperware off and tighten the clamps. In the summer it doesn't leak so what's the need to take off the tupperware and tighten the clamps. ;)

Top Bottom