Decision Time

I'm at the point that I'm ready to purchase my next bike. I'm really interested in the ST but I live in the Phoenix metro area and am concerned about the heat. I've also found an '09 R1200RT-P 21k miles on it for a steal. I've come from Harleys and am used to having my legs roasted but did not enjoy it. Should I just make the jump to the ST and not worry about the heat or deal with it as it comes?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Jerry

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Chris and I have had ST1100s and an ST1300 for 50k in Phx/Tempe/Tucson.
I rode the ST1300 a lot too (it was totalled in a rainstorm near Flagstaff some years ago while Chris was riding it. She did fine the bike not so much.).

I ride the ST1100 every day.

I don't (and didn't) find the heat an issue with either bike.

The one person I knew (he has since moved away from Phx) that had an issue rode with shorts. I think long pants make a big difference... :)

Good luck with your hunt and your choice!

Mark

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
ST all the way. Though I can't speak from experience on the 1300, there are mods people here have posted to help with the heat, should you find it troublesome. The reliability, easy maintenance, and longevity of the ST alone, is worth it to me. Good luck with your decision.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I don't live in a hot climate, but we do have our warmer days, many of which I hop on the ST and ride. I sure wouldn't let the "heat issue" stop you. Just do it!!! You won't be disappointed.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Consider a ST1100 over the 1300, since you are buying used anyway. There were extremely few, if any, complaints about excessive engine heat from the 1100 over all its years of production. My first test ride on a 1300, when it came out, convinced me to give it a pass and keep my 1100.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Quite a few purchasers have problems with ex-police bikes, because many wires are cut when the radios, police lights, siren, radar antennas, etc., are removed from the bike. Invariably, there's some wire that doesn't get properly covered, eventually leading to an electrical problem--one that's very difficult to source amongst dozens and dozens of additional wires, hidden in the confines of the bike.

Just sayin'.

Bike
ST1300A '10
I've come from Harleys and am used to having my legs roasted but did not enjoy it. Should I just make the jump to the ST and not worry about the heat or deal with it as it comes?
any fully flaired 4 cylinder is going to get warm, the ST perhaps more than most but I've never noticed that much of a difference really. I did, however, put about 60,000 miles on a Road King including jaunts thru Death Valley, south Texas and southern Florida in high summer and comparatively speaking, the ST is MUCH cooler. On an ST in 95F you might want to move your leg away from the engine vents but the body work and liquid cooling are going to channel the worst of it away from you. On a Harley, your leg is the body work for the rear cylinder which tends to get nice and hot as that cylinder doesn't get nearly as much airflow as the front. The other thing that helps is the electrically adjustable screen: hot, full down for max airflow, cold/rain/heavy winds, dial it up. There are differences between sport-touring bikes but they are nothing like the differences between an air cooled twin and a liquid cooled, fully-flaired 4.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I would get the ST1300. Many good deals out there. I would also stay away from the police bike. They show them no mercy. The ST1100 is a very good bike. Just not the bike for me.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Jerry, I live in Gilbert. I ride all my bikes year round. I have two Harleys, and a handful of other bikes. In the last year I've put almost 50,000 miles on my ST1300. It's no hotter to ride than the Harley's, and at stoplights it's cooler. My VFR and my ST are roughly the same for heat on the riders legs, and both are quite manageable. My Hayabusa was hotter than the ST, and so was my R1.
Like others have said, when it's 110 in the shade, any bike is going to make our legs warmer than we'd like. But the ST is no worse than any other. If you can just keep moving, you won't hardly notice it.
It's hard to go wrong with an ST, regardless of year.

Garry
Gilbert, AZ.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Jerry, I live in Gilbert. I ride all my bikes year round. I have two Harleys, and a handful of other bikes. In the last year I've put almost 50,000 miles on my ST1300. It's no hotter to ride than the Harley's, and at stoplights it's cooler. My VFR and my ST are roughly the same for heat on the riders legs, and both are quite manageable. My Hayabusa was hotter than the ST, and so was my R1.
Like others have said, when it's 110 in the shade, any bike is going to make our legs warmer than we'd like. But the ST is no worse than any other. If you can just keep moving, you won't hardly notice it.
It's hard to go wrong with an ST, regardless of year.

Garry
Gilbert, AZ.
I must agree with all, having owned 7 big harleys and several big Honda's over the past 36 years I am finding my ST1300 the apex of motorcycle riding perfection (with mods).
If it is too hot outside to go for a walk in the sun then I don't ride---anything!

Bike
2004 ST 1300
I never have a heat issue on the ST, other than slow city driving with temps around 100 F, and probably since I have been riding Beemers for years with the two jugs toasting my shins. What really helps is just keep moving!!!

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Jerry:

I've ridden the 1200RT, and I own a ST 1100. Both are very competent motorcycles, and choosing between the two is, I think, entirely a matter of personal preference.

I think that the biggest difference between the two is that one is a twin and the other is a 4 cylinder. The 'vibration' is different between the two. On the 1200, you can kind of sense the cylinders firing. On the ST, the engine is much smoother, like a sewing machine.

I doubt very much if you would notice any difference between the two motorcycles so far as heat emitted by the engine is concerned.

Michael

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I put 3000 miles on my 1100 this June complaints on a heat issue. Came home and bought a 1300 haven't gotten to take a road trip on it yet. Have taken some 200 mile day trips with no issues love them both if you are thinking sport touring bike buy one soon. If you get one now can get at least a month of riding before winter slows things down. Ride on.

OP
OP
I put 3000 miles on my 1100 this June complaints on a heat issue. Came home and bought a 1300 haven't gotten to take a road trip on it yet. Have taken some 200 mile day trips with no issues love them both if you are thinking sport touring bike buy one soon. If you get one now can get at least a month of riding before winter slows things down. Ride on.

Thanks Okie, winter here is the riding season! 70-75 during the day. Our summers are kind of like the east coast's winter. We can ride but it's not pleasant.

Bike
2006 ST
I own both the ST1300 and a 2012 R1200RT. Yes, both have heat issues around the ankles. The RT does have some vibration at lower rpm's and that oil smell. Its fairing is wider therefore, less wind on the rider. I don't know about the passenger as I never ride two up.

If your looking for rock solid smooth then you can't beat the ST. Plus if stick to BMW recommended maintenance schedules you will spend a bit more cash than on ST maintenance even if you prefrom the maintenance yourself.

Either way, both are good bikes however, cost of ownership I believe will be higher with the RT.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
ST's and heat are not a consistent thing from bike to bike. I have owned two ST1300's.

The first one only presented me with a bit of excessive heat very rarley. One day while riding to FerrySToc cruising the open highway. I just shifted my leg back a bit to get the airflow different and all was good.

Now the newer bike.. it is definitely a wee bit warmer feeling. When the upper tank is not-full, it can get just flat out sttinking hot!!! when doing around town driving. But on the road I barely notice it. I just cruised through Bakersfield at 108?, then onto Death Valley and it wasn't the tank that felt hot to me.

As a rider, I definitely wouldn't let the worry of heat scare you off.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Thanks Okie, winter here is the riding season! 70-75 during the day. Our summers are kind of like the east coast's winter. We can ride but it's not pleasant.
I have the add on fairing extensions on my ST1300. I haven't had scorched ankles yet not sure if the extensions help. Maybe I just have tough ankles. I do ride with boots on which I am sure help protect the ankles.

Top Bottom