tools for front tire removal?

Bike
STOC #
Can someone please list the tools needed for front tire removal? Sizes specially, please. I found a nice post for rear and was able to buy exactly what I needed (the 27mm socket was NOT in my tool kit for some reason), and got that done, but now it's time for the front and can't seem to find a post listing sizes. I did read somewhere I'd need a 17mm hex for the front axle, but that's all I know, and the manual I have is unhelpful in the extreme.

Thank you for your help. I hope to get this done this weekend.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You don't need a 17mm allen key for the front wheel, what you need, depending if yours if a Police or Civilian model is the following tools:
12mm socket or wrench for the right side caliper mounting bolts.
6mm allen socket or key for the fork pinch bolts (civilian model) or 12mm socket for the police model, and for use on the left caliper mounting bracket bolts.
22 mm socket for the axle nut.
You don't need a 17mm key, because you can use the pinch bolts to hold the axle in place while you tighten the axle nut (follow service manual set up procedure)
Hope this helps.
Igofar

Byron

STOC #
The front axle nut tightens the axle shaft against the spacers and wheel bearings. If you use the pinch bolts to hold the axle then it is possible that the front axle will not be torqued properly. If the axle is held too far back or out the torque on the nut will only transfer through the spacers and bearing and to the left front lower fork leg and not the shoulder of the axle. You can try to tighten it without the pinch bolts holding the axle and sometimes the axle won't spin, other times it will. Buy the 17mm Allen, besides you will need it later to change the fork fluid as this is the same wrench you will need to remove the fork cap.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The front axle nut tightens the axle shaft against the spacers and wheel bearings. If you use the pinch bolts to hold the axle then it is possible that the front axle will not be torqued properly. If the axle is held too far back or out the torque on the nut will only transfer through the spacers and bearing and to the left front lower fork leg and not the shoulder of the axle. You can try to tighten it without the pinch bolts holding the axle and sometimes the axle won't spin, other times it will. Buy the 17mm Allen, besides you will need it later to change the fork fluid as this is the same wrench you will need to remove the fork cap.
With all due respect, while the service manual 2003-2008, section 15-20 simply instructs you to "Hold the axle and tighten the axle bolt to the specified torque", the set up instructions (probably somewhere on this forum in the article section, explain that you can Hold the axle, by using the pinch bolts, by following the sequence of tighten the left pinch bolts to hold axle, tighten axle nut, tighten right pinch bolts to spec, then loosen the left ones to take the bind off the axle, then bounce or settle the front end, then tighten the left ones last. Either way will work, and I don't think either way will damage or harm anything, since they are both approved methods from Honda's instructions and set up procedures.
.o2

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Don't forget a bottle jack or other suitable means to support the front of the bike when the front wheel is removed. If you spring for the proper Honda service manual, I think you'll find that it lists all of the proper tools for the job.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
STOC #
I have an older service manual that I've had for a while, 2003, that does not list all the tools needed for this job, which is why I asked here, and why I called it 'unhelpful in the extreme'. It has nice pictures and very basic instructions if you know what you're doing. Complete waste of money for me, though. Thank you for your help. It's why I keep coming back to these forums.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like you may not have a HONDA OEM service manual, but a Haynes or similar manual instead.

Byron

STOC #
This is from the 2006 Setup Instructions:

"7. Install the front wheel.

Clean both sides of the front and rear brake
discs with a clean shop towel and Pro Honda
Brake Cleaner or equivalent.

Remove the caliper mounting bolts. Be
careful not to get dust and dirt on the ends of
the mounting bolts.

Support both calipers with a piece of wire,
or similar method, so they do not hang from
the brake hoses. Be careful not to twist the
brake hoses.

Do not operate the brake lever or pedal after
the brake calipers are removed.

Note that the shoulders on each wheel collar
are different sizes. It is important to install
them with the correct sides facing the wheel.

Install the 16.5 mm left-side collar with the
10 mm deep shoulder side facing the wheel.
Install the 27.5 mm right-side collar with the
34 mm outside diameter shoulder facing
the wheel.

Position the front wheel between the
fork legs.

Slide the axle shaft through the left fork leg,
the 16.5 mm left-side collar, front wheel,
27.5 mm right-side collar, and right fork leg.

Push in on the axle shaft so the left end of the
axle shaft is flush with the surface of the left
fork leg.

While holding the axle, install and tighten the
axle bolt to the specified torque.

Torque: 79 N?m (8.1 kgf?m, 58 lbf?ft)

Tighten the right axle pinch bolts to the
specified torque.

Torque: 22 N?m (2.2 kgf?m, 16 lbf?ft).

7. Install the front wheel (cont.).

Reinstall the right and left front brake
calipers, being careful not to damage the
front wheel and related components.

Install the caliper bolts and tighten to the
specified torque.

Torque: 31 N?m (3.2 kgf?m, 23 lbf?ft)
Operate the front brake and pump the forks
several times to seat the axle.

Check the brake operation by applying the
brake lever and pedal.

Check the wheel for free rotation after the
brake is released. If the brake drags or the
wheel does not rotate freely, recheck the
wheel and brake caliper installation.

Visually check the position of the brake disc in
relation to the brake caliper; it should be
centered. If not, recheck the wheel and brake
caliper installation.

7. Install the front wheel (cont.).

Make sure the axle end is flush with the front
fork leg outer surface as shown.

Tighten the left axle pinch bolts to the
specified torque.

Torque: 22 N?m (2.2 kgf?m, 16 lbf?ft)

On the ST1300A, verify the clearance between
the ABS front pulser ring and sensor.

Clearance specification:
0.4 - 1.2 mm (0.02 - 0.05 in)

If outside the clearance specification range,
recheck the wheel installation."

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thats one set of instructions for set up....you may find there are also other ones, also by honda showing the other way too
Thanks for printing that. In the shop I often use my 17mm socket to hold the axle....however if your traveling or doing a roadside repair, most folks don't have a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or allen socket.....and yes, I know about the motion pro axle sockets available.

Top Bottom