Mr. Donaldson - R.I.P. 10/15/2014

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Two great tributes to a great man, thanks Jeff and Shuey for sharing!

I always enjoyed talking to Bob, the few times I saw him, the first being, meeting up with Carole and MAC with Bob at HODADS, I still have the HODADS sign above my desk, reminding me of that time! He was always interesting to talk to, because he not only told you his stories, but he loved to listen to yours! He will be greatly missed by me as well.

Bike
2003 GL1800A
As I have been looking through all of the photos contributed, I keep being reminded of a statement made in the movie On Any Sunday.
The narrator said of Malcomb Smith.. as he was rippin' across the Elsinore dirt ...
"There's just something about the way he sits a motorcycle" ..

RM

Bike
2005 Concours
Jeff & Shuey, & George too...all have done a great job in words and photos.

At a little before 5am this morning, waiting for my coffee to brew, I was sitting on the front porch looking at the stars and thinking of Bob. I heard a train in the distance, and it reminded me of a story Bob had told me.

When he was a young man (?) he worked on the railroad as, I think they call them "gandy dancers". On Sunday, he would get on the train as it passed through Herrick, Il. and travel...I think he said PA... Anyway, he'd work all week out there, and then jump the train and go back home for the weekend. It was difficult to imagine Bob, all 135#s driving spikes in the ties, but back then he weighed much more....I think...maybe not.

I'll sure be glad when all this hurting stops.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Having closure will help most of us with the hurt. Still waiting on the official coordinates from family. When I get those, I can start planning the memorial ride in Bob's honor. I have chosen the date of May 2nd because it is still open in next years calendar. The following weekend in Mother's day so it's out, the weekend after that is FerrySToc, so that's out. Just don't want to put it off too long. So... May 2nd it is. Will keep everyone posted of developments.

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
Thank you Jeff for this wonderful tribute. Bob was a great friend. After receiving my motorcycle license in March of 2012, with only 250 miles of practice before flying back to New Hampshire, I headed out with friends to attend NatStoc. Bob was one of those friends. He immediately took me under his wing, and made sure that I made it through intersections, lane changes, and held back so that I was not the last in line. I loved him from the day that I met him. When Randy and I arrived at an event, I always scanned the crowd to see if Bob had arrived safely, and it was his hug that I wanted first! I know in my heart that Bob used EVERY bit of energy that he could muster in order to attend DinkiStoc, so that he could say goodbye to friends. Bob was there waiting for me when Randy and I arrived and I had tears in my eyes when Bob rushed to greet me before I could even get off my bike. I knew that this would be the last time that I would see him. When it was time to leave and Bob gave me his goodbye hug, I kissed him and we exchanged "I love you", I knew it would be the last time that I would hold this great man. I cried all the way home. Bob is with us all, and I am so grateful to have friends that have the same feelings about Bob in common. It binds us, and now we shall keep his memory alive.
Thank you Della. I love your memories of Bob. And it makes me tear up reading this.
He was one of a kind. And loved so much.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Thanks Jeff for an awesome tribute to Bob! My favorite memory of Bob is when I was had the Gold Wing loaner from the Honda dealership. I called him and asked him if he wanted to ride and show me a few things about the Wing. He immediately arranged to meet me the next morning and planned a ride for us down to Riders Hill in Dholonega,Ga. After meeting up he took the lead riding a little slow and easy. A HD sportster passed us and I was thinking " Come one Bob pick it up a bit!" After reaching Riders Hill and after having lunch, meeting Vinny and his family, he asked me how comfortable I was in the Wing. I told him I was doing fine, etc. We started back towards Chattanooga and suddenly I noticed the pace had picked up quite a bit, passing on double yellows,scraping running boards! We rode Fort Mtn. Rd as fast as I dared with Bob in the lead passing cages at will. Man he could ride that Wing! Lonna and I were laughing riding behind him trying to keep up! We stopped for a drink before we went our separate ways home; he had that twinkle in his eye knowing that he had led me on a great ride an shared his experience with me. Thanks Bob!
I am lucky to have known this great man!

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
Thanks Jeff for a wonderful tribute. Your ability to describe the details make it easy for the reader to place themselves in the room or campground with you and Bob.
And essentially brings out all of the emotions that you experienced in the reader as well.
Thanks again, buddy.

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
Thanks Shuey. Not a better way to describe how we feel about Bob.
Now I have to go and get a Kleenex.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have chosen the date of May 2nd because it is still open in next years calendar.
That is great Vinny! I will be off work. I will be there for sure! We all shared our Bob stories at OkieStoc last weekend. He was there with us in body last year. Call me crazy, but it sure seemed like he was there with us this year also. I guess you would have had to be there to understand. We were all hurting from our loss. But being together and sharing our Stories seemed to get us through our hurt.
Last year he was the first one there. When Blue In Bethany and I pulled up, he was already set up and enjoying a beautiful day sitting in his chair with a bunch of dual sport riders having an event at the same park. The ST group was at the top of the hill at another location. I saw bob as we were on our way to our site. I stopped to talk to Bob. I told him that we were on the top of the hill. He told me I'M NOT MOVING with a serious voice. I offered to help. So after a short visit we went up the hill and set up camp. About the time we were done, guess who pulls up with all of his stuff? Yes it was Bob. Lol We had a great time the rest of the weekend. He was headed west from OkieSTOC. He road with us on two lane roads until we got to I-40
That was my last ride with my buddy Bob.
We had breakfast together Friday morning 10-3 2014. We were catching up on things just having a nice visit. All of a sudden Bob tells me me has been doing some work on his house. He said I just had a new roof put on. I was just listening. I was thinking he was going to say he was downsizing or moving in with a relative. I did not say a thing. Then Bob says after a long pause, I'm not going to be here. I did not know what to say. I didn't know what he was going to say next. I was in shock! I was thinking he was going to tell me something that was going to hit me hard! Hell, I couldn't speak. I didn't say a word. I was trying to keep it together in front of him. Then Bob says, I'm getting old. He said that I am getting the house ready for my son to sell when I am gone. I had to get it together just to tell my friend that that would be one sad day for me. And that was the thruth!!!
That is all I could get out with a serious lump in my throat. We went back to our talk. I don't Know if he wanted to tell me something. I just don't know. He seemed to be the same old Bob I have known the last 4 years. I guess I'll never know that now. I'm pretty sure others would have known that before me. I just thought I would share it now. I will miss him just as much as we all will. He made a lasting impression on me as he did all of us that had the privilege of knowing such a fine man!
Thank you Bob for letting me be in such a short time of your life! Thank you for your service to our country! We are all better for what you did for us!
Until we meet again my friend,. I hope you know I love you!
Keith

Bike
2005 Concours
Great story Keith. Little did we know, at the time, that at Dinkies would be the last time any of us would see our beloved Bob again. I sure wish we'd have gotten back in time to give him a hug, before he left.

Fali, I can relate. After FerrySTOC, I got to spend a couple days with Bob. He took me on some of his "one/two/three cup" rides. That's how much time he had before he had to get back to caring for his wife. I too was impressed watching him manhandle 3B through those twisties. I kept thinking...he is in his own little world while riding. Sure wish I could've spent alot more time chasing him through those mountain roads.

Last edited:
Bike
GL1800 2015
Just heard of this today...:(
Since I started OTR driving, a year ago,I'm lucky if I check in every two weeks.
Truly another amazing person on this Site who influenced everybody who crossed his path....
RIP

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I would like to see it myself John. I have a picture I took Friday night at DinkieSTOC on my phone. It was what I believe to be Bob's last good night with us. I'm not sure what it would mean to everyone else. But it is special to me! I could forward it to someone if they would like to see or post it. I'm just not good at that sort of thing.

Top Bottom