Headlight bulb replacement

Bike
2005 Honda ST
I have a small hand and can reach the connector without removing any Tupperware, but I cannot seem to budge it. This should pull straight off - correct? Any suggestions?

Burlster

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
There are two latches on the side of the connector that must be squeezed FIRMLY before it will pull off the bulb. I found it tough to squezze them and then pull, but it did come off. Good luck.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
There are two latches on the side of the connector that must be squeezed FIRMLY before it will pull off the bulb. I found it tough to squezze them and then pull, but it did come off. Good luck.
+1. You should have plenty grip having to work the throttle and brake levers, or if you're a lefty the clutch. The grip also works for pickle jars. :D When you get to it, be sure to press the wire clip in toward the bulb and the slide it up.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Again, it will come off. Position your fingers at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions relative the bulb and squeeze hard on the connector as you pull back. I am convinced that this is one of the most frustrating simple maintenance procedures on the whole bike.

Remember, you have to BELIEVE it will come off.

The first time I did it, I spent hours on the bulbs and my hands looked like I had been in a cat fight.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
[inside joke] Burlster, if you are located in Stratford, and your bike is a 1300P, I have the perfect solution for your headlight bulb problem: Wait until I buy the bike from you, then I'll change the bulb. :D [/inside joke]

Michael

OP
OP
Bike
2005 Honda ST
Thanks for the reply Kevin. Yet another item that should be edited in the Service Manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2005 Honda ST
I can relate to the frustration. Yet another item to edit in the Service Manual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2005 Honda ST
I'm in St. Thomas Michael and I may have to sell my low-mileage '05 1300 ABS if I can't find cheaper insurance and parts. If you rotate your picture it really doesn't look that bad!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I have a small hand and can reach the connector without removing any Tupperware, but I cannot seem to budge it. This should pull straight off - correct? Any suggestions?

Burlster
I ruined my left headlight connector by my ignorance of not squeezing the tabs and pulling too hard. I replaced it with a heavy duty H4 connector from O'Riley's and all is well.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I also have relatively small hands. I found it easiest if I was facing the rear of my ST. Then reach back, grab the connector, squeeze at 3 and 9 and viola! Off it pops. When you replace the connector, it wouldn't hurt to apply a bit of dielectric grease. Good luck! You'll get there.

John

Bike
2005 ST1300
You guys with little hands just kill me. I have Hamhands and would love to not loose a pound of flesh each time I have to put my hand in a hole like for changing headlights. +1 on the facing to the rear of the bike and reaching back like John said.

Top Bottom