Throttle Cable routing / alternatives

Bike
ST1100Y and ST1300-2
As previously mentioned I have rebuilt an ST1100PP ( a 1993 Police spec ). To say the rebuild has been costly is an understatement, in both time and money? but hey what else would I have done with it ?

Been scratching my head, about the throttle cable routing, because on full left handlebar lock the throttle grip no longer snaps back, its a sharp thwack every other position, but on full left it over-tightens the cable.

I've done as much as Ican, I'm pretty sure the routing is a per the guidance elsewhere on this forum,

(out of the throttle across the front of the right hand fork leg, under the yoke via the cable guide, to the o/s of the steering stem, through the cable guide, then along the n/s of the air filter before dropping into the carbs.)

Its not snagging and has been lubricated. I've even swapped the Throttle A cable (opening ) with a spare I had picked up along the way. ( Now that's an awkward job involving keyhole surgery, if you don't take out the petrol tank )

To my frustration its still over tightening and stiffens the throttle grip on full left lock !

Now then here is my question - My Police spec bike is fitted with handlebar risers, from memory there about ? inch ( that's a guess ). I have just noticed using the parts fiche's that the Police Spec bikes ST1100PP / PS / PTand PY all show the part number as 17910-MZ9-900, while the normal ST1100P / S / T / Y show the part as 17910-MT3-000.

Could that be my problem? is one cable a little longer ?

Has anyone tried routing the cable differently ?

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
To say the rebuild has been costly is an understatement, in both time and money– but hey what else would I have done with it ?
Been through the very same situation with the vandalized '94 I can relate... totally... but it would have been a waste to break it for parts or such...

Among other P-spec mods I too have the 17910-MZ9-900 bar-raises (plus the wider MZ9 handlebar) installed, no issues with the throttle cables at all. Just followed the OEM routing as on my "civil" '00 ST.

From what I reckon:
from the throttle housing forward, around the front of the RHS fork tube
back between the RHS tube and steering head, underneath the upper tee
through the little wire clip behind the steering head
from there rearward along the LHS frame backbone, close aside left of the airbox

No tension, nothing

I also don't need to remove the tank for accessing the cables on the carb pulley; I simply loosen the adjusters on the sleeving, screw the nuts fully back, remove the two Philips head bolts holding their bracket on the carb body to gain more slack/clearance, push the cable down so the wire points 90? away from the pulley, so I can pull the soldered-nipple out with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

OP
OP
Tommo
Bike
ST1100Y and ST1300-2
Thanks ST1100Y, glad I'm not the only numpty to be lead by the heart not the head.

Among other P-spec mods I too have the 17910-MZ9-900 bar-raises (plus the wider MZ9 handlebar) installed, no issues with the throttle cables at all. Just followed the OEM routing as on my "civil" '00 ST.
I've just re read my post and realise I hadn't typed what I had thought. The Police spec and Civy bikes have different part codes for their Throtte A cables, 17910-mz9-900 for the Police and 17920-mt3-000 for the civy's. It could be a colour difference BUT could it be a slightly different spec or length ?

I can get a police version direct from David Silver for under ?20 is it worth a shot ?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Definitely worth a try with the MZ9 cables, there surely was a reason that Honda established specific throttle cables for the P-spec.
I'd left the "civil" ones on the '94 and simply installed the raisers and wider h/bar... cables fit with no issues whatsoever...
Possible your raisers add more height? (IIRC will the P-spec raisers only add ~20mm)
BTW: you might find yourself a bit "detached" from the bike with the bar-raises... at least I do in tight cornering...

Its actually growing harder to get P-spec parts, like you I'd to order some bits at DS or got lucky on Ebay (like voltmeter, strobe brackets and h/bar switch-set)...
Not finding decent used ones I'd ordered the push-buttons for LHS inner fairing at my STealer... took agonizingly long to arrive...
But now once the bike is running, its fully worth it... :cool:
Black/White fairing with amber strobe-kit, reflective yellow high-viz livery rated to cause eye-cancer, etc...
Excellent for running as tour-guide or marshal...

Top Bottom