First SS1K, how many route miles to plan for?

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Weather permitting, I'm taking some time off work in January to head South to check out the Everglades and Keys.

My initial plan has me making the sprint south in one day. Conveniently from my doorstep to a gas station (just before 40-50 miles of nothing to the campground) is about 1010 miles. The rough plan is to camp for a few nights at the Flamingo campground, then spend a couple nights camping at Key West. I figure my best bet for an SS1K would probably be the trip down (even though the return would be slightly longer starting in Key West). I'm just a bit skeptical that 1013 "google" miles is going to be sufficient at the end of the day. Once that gas station is passed, I don't think I'll find anything that I could document a stopping point with.

The SS1K isn't a primary mission of this trip, so if I don't pull it's no big deal. About the only thing I have "planned" is either taking the boat out to Dry Tortugas or going out on a head boat one day while I'm there, everything else will just be whatever sounds interesting at the time.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine have always been planned with an extra 40 or 50 miles but I didn't need them. What does Mapsource or Base Camp give vs. Google? If the 1010 is iron clad given a couple sources I would ride it.

Top Bottom