2015 FJR1300 - color change only

STOC #
I saw the New Graphite at the AIM expo in Orlando.. Very nice color. Looks black from a distance. When you start getting closer the rich graphite comes into view.. The '14 red is better in person also..
Rode the FJR and the Tenere……. both very nice……….. but which one for me??

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I saw the New Graphite at the AIM expo in Orlando.. Very nice color. Looks black from a distance. When you start getting closer the rich graphite comes into view.. The '14 red is better in person also..
Rode the FJR and the Tenere……. both very nice……….. but which one for me??
How about both!! That will make you smile like this :D

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Placed an order and a deposit on a 2015 FJR ES this morning. I am thinking that a Cee Bailey Sport in Dark Tint will make the gray look mean and sinister. We will see.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Placed an order and a deposit on a 2015 FJR ES this morning. I am thinking that a Cee Bailey Sport in Dark Tint will make the gray look mean and sinister. We will see.
I bet that will be one mean looking machine with the dark tint on the shield.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Congrats on your soon to be yours FJR. Are you going to keep the '04?
Thank you.

No, I will not keep my beloved ST1300. I do not have room/need for two Sport Tourers. I will not be happy to see the big Honda go, it has been a wonderful bike. I have checked off all of the Bucket List Destinations I had as a child and have added several more from the back of Ole Blue. This is truly the best bike a man could ever hope for. When Honda gave us the ST1300 it was the answer to all my motorcycle dreams. I love this bike and have misgivings about letting it go.

However, the big Yamaha is also a great motorcycle. I have extensive experience with Dad's '07 FJR and have ridden the '14 ES on a Demo Ride. I know I can be happy with the FJR. Time will tell. If for some reason the FJR makes me unhappy I have no doubt I can find another ST1300 and start over.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats!.. I'm sure you'll like the bike just fine.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Congrats RedFish on the New Order. Welcome to the other side. Never thought I would ever switch. over 20 years on ST's. But The Times Are A Changing, and Time Stands Still For No One. Not even Honda. Just got back from checking out my local Yamaha dealer. Looks like we will have a good relationship.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
"Subframe-fitted quick-release luggage mounts provide easy use of the standard accessory hard sidecases, which are conveniently matched to the ignition key."
It's a little thing, but Yamaha provides the keyed to the bike locks to the side bags of new bikes . . . loose, you put them in. They also provide a 3rd lock for use in a top box. In my case, it's just an extra lock should anything happen to one of the locks in the sidebags.

Shuey

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hmmm. my 2013 came with the locks installed in the bags. Maybe it's a dealer thing?
Well, they might have installed the bag locks, but . . . there should have been a third one loose for you to use as needed, like on my 2013. Just say'in.

Shuey

Bike
ST1300A
Still I think it looks pretty nice in the new colour, the dark colours don't look dated down the road. If I was to change bikes I would go to the FJR, so c'mon Honda update our much loved ST!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Well, they might have installed the bag locks, but . . . there should have been a third one loose for you to use as needed, like on my 2013. Just say'in.

Shuey
Great info Shuey. What else is provided with the bike that should end up with the customer, but which may get 'lost' by the dealer's setup team?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Great info Shuey. What else is provided with the bike that should end up with the customer, but which may get 'lost' by the dealer's setup team?
Well . . . a complete tool kit was a nice surprise with everything you need to take most of the bike apart. Cheap drop forged stuff, but the spark plug wrench is worthwhile. Unlike the ST though, it didn't have the piece of foam that came with the solitary allen wrench. ;)

The side hard boxes came with both interior organizer nets as well as good quality carry bags. I use the bags and the nets are stored in the garage somewhere.

That's all I can think of other than the extra lock. Everything else was ready to go.

Shuey

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well . . . a complete tool kit was a nice surprise with everything you need to take most of the bike apart. Cheap drop forged stuff, but the spark plug wrench is worthwhile. Unlike the ST though, it didn't have the piece of foam that came with the solitary allen wrench. ;)

The side hard boxes came with both interior organizer nets as well as good quality carry bags. I use the bags and the nets are stored in the garage somewhere.

That's all I can think of other than the extra lock. Everything else was ready to go.

Shuey
Wow with Honda that is a lot of extra money for those items.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
Wow with Honda that is a lot of extra money for those items.
True, but there is a give and take with everything.

Yamaha does provide some excellent bag liners, some dandy retaining straps inside the hard cases and the 3rd lock set for the optional but readily available top box.

However, Honda provides us with Tip-Over Wings. There is NO protection for the FJR and when it tips over... $$$$$$$. Also, the earlier ST1300s came with a pretty decent tool kit. At least my '04 has one.

The Bestem bag liners for the ST1300 are much cheaper than the Canyon Cages or frame sliders that you have to buy for the FJR.

Top Bottom