Bike dies after nest found and wires repaired

Bike
2006 ST1300
Larry, what did you have for voltage when testing the Yellow/Red (+) harness wire to ground.
Then the Yellow/Red (+) to the Green/Orange (-).

I'm assuming you are following the service manual for testing this.

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
when u start the bike, can u give it any gas to keep it going or will it just die no matter? did the wiring harness came out the same year bike? sounds like its not telling ur computer where ur throttle tps is at, making it choke and stall. but with out being their to look at it makes it hard to tell.

OP
OP
The bike dies no matter what I do with the throttle. I have 5.1 volts between the other two wires. I have been following the manual.
Any suggestions??
Larry

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
was the wire harness that u got from a 2008 or newer bike? it could be that on some of the years they moved wires in the conections and it is sending the wrong signal i would check the old cable and see that all colors are the same locations and colors.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
First off. I've never seen a mouse or rat chew through even the smallest copper wire. the insulation yes... clean up wires and re-insulate with tape. That said, the original wires were working. Now what probably has happened is if the injector wires were bare and shorted together it probably took out the solid state that drives the injector (transistor) and your only running on a few cylinders. my guess would be that the wires that were problem in the first place, this is the injector with problems. If I had to guess how the electronics are built I would think that one driver design powers 2 injectors.. This electronic driver is built into the ECM as one component according to the manual. Before I would buy an ECM. I would one- attach an analog volt meter to the injector wires and look for the pulse. Two- see if you can feel or hear (with a screwdriver as a sound bar) the injector pulse. IF the electronics is using a transistor (which I"m pretty sure it is) to switch this on, you would need to install a resistor (100 ohm should do it) between the wires to produce a load (acting as the injector load) because the plug will be unplugged from the injector to test it.

Oh!
Three- take to dealer and just pay them...

let us know the outcome.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
When my harness was eaten I found 2 nests: 1 in the airbox and 1 in the tail. Fortunately, the harness solved my problems. I now put pieces of Irish Spring soap around the bike and haven't had issues in years.

OP
OP
I' am leaving for Phoenix on Monday so the st's on the rack till I get back. I' am riding one of my wings down and flying back. When I get back I'am going to see if I can borrow the check wire harness from A Local Honda Dealer. That's the last stage to show the ECM is bad.
Larry

OP
OP
I have narrowed it down to the PGM-FI unit I think. I have removed the unit and need someone in the Chicago area to allow me to plug it into their 2008 to see if the bikes acts the same.
Please PM me if you have a 08 in the Chicago area or anywhere!!!

Larry

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Maybe I'm off the beaten path, but this sounds a lot like a problem I had in my boat when the oil pressure switch failed. On the Mercruiser in my boat, the fuel pump gets power temporarily while the starter is engaged and after that, power to the fuel pump is routed through an oil pressure switch to keep the fuel pump running. The motor would start fine, run 5-10 seconds and then die, sometimes with a belch or two. Is there a similar setup in the ST? On the stone simple boat motors, it's fairly easy to trace out but with our more sophisticated electronic controls, I don't know. Maybe your uninvited guests got to another wire?

fuel pump still running after it dies? fuel cut relay letting go?

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have an 05 on the lift at the moment if you want to try it in that bike. Just finishing going through the entire bike.

Top Bottom