Bike dies after nest found and wires repaired

I have a ongoing problem with my 2008 ST1300. I let it sit for 2 weeks and when I went to start it the engine would only run for 5 seconds then die??? I took the air box off and found a varmit nest under it. I cleaned the nest out and found the 1 and 3 wires to the injectors had been chewed up and I cleaned the wires and recovered them and checked for shorts and have none. I then started the bike up again after clearing the ecm faults and it ran for 5 seconds then died? I have no faults showing now?
I have no Idea where to go from here?
Larry

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
What fault code did you get when you shorted the data plug? An open/shorted injector fault will not allow the engine to start up at all according to the repair manual. My brother had the mouse nest problem last year and we were able to source a used injector connector from a Honda dealer and splice it in to resolve the chewed wire problem. Initially we got another no start and the same fault code, but we determined that a pin in the connector was bent an not making good contact with the injector pin.
I would start from scratch and check continuity on all the chewed wires from damaged area to pin in the connector and go from there. Here is a source for new injector connectors if one is needed. http://www.corsa-technic.com/category.php?category_id=52

Otherwise as someone posted you can go for the full monty and replace the whole injector sub-harness. The repair we made with a solder gun & used connector has held up well however.
Regards,
Terry

OP
OP
I installed the harness and not the bike back fires through the exhaust loud and a little through the throttle body. Any Ideas???
Larry

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I installed the harness and not the bike back fires through the exhaust loud and a little through the throttle body. Any Ideas???
Larry
There are two connectors, one goes to the map sensor and the other is connected just to the left of that. I believe if those connectors are swapped, you may get the results you are getting.

ThrottleDiagram.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300
There are two connectors, one goes to the map sensor and the other is connected just to the left of that. I believe if those connectors are swapped, you may get the results you are getting.

ThrottleDiagram.jpg
I believe that the other connector is the (TP) Throttle Position sensor, and it is blue.
I have had the mouse problem as well and was able to replace the insulation on the wires and it has been running fine for the last few years.

I was also wondering if it were possible that you got a couple of the injector wires switched and causing the problem.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes you must have some of the wires plugged into the wrong sockets, take a look at the service manual and make sure that all are connected where they belong. Good luck.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Larry
I mentioned in another post that the injector wires might be switched as I had a mouse problem and when I taped up the wires I lost my reference to which wire went to their respective injectors.
The wire harness that I have worked with are marked with wight tags... 1, 2, 3, & 4. The injectors are positioned...
#1 is the Right front and the wire color should be Pink with Blue
#3 is the Right rear and the wire color should be Pink with Green
#2 is Left front and the wire color should be Red with Yellow
#4 is Left rear and the wire color should be Pink with Black
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I had the injector wires reversed and after I switched them I still have back firing only weaker thru the exhaust? The other two plugs are installed correctly?

Larry

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just talked to my son, Justin. He had reversed the MapSensor & TP and had the same symptoms you are describing. Try reversing those two plugs and see if there is any difference. the worse it can do is backfire up through the throttlebody...but since you already have that....

OP
OP
OK!!
Now the bike starts then after 5 seconds dies. I turn the key off and on again and the bikes starts then dies after 5 seconds????
Anyone have a idea???
Larry

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you give it some throttle when you start it, can you keep it running?

Now, this is JUST A GUESS, but, I'm thinking your map sensor might be bad. You could start by pulling the 5 way tee and making sure it is not plugged (causing the kind of issue you are having.). if it isn't, I'm going with the map sensor (shorted out when the wires were eaten?)

Bike
2006 ST1300
OK!!
Now the bike starts then after 5 seconds dies. I turn the key off and on again and the bikes starts then dies after 5 seconds????
Anyone have a idea???
Larry

It sounds like the mouse chewing on the injector wires is not the problem.
I went back to the first post and you did state which wires had the insulation chewed on. Right side #1 & #3 and you took care of it..... (I cleaned the nest out and found the 1 and 3 wires to the injectors had been chewed up and I cleaned the wires and recovered them and checked for shorts and have none.)
You also corrected the switched injector wires and it started up.... so if the MAP sensor connector which is grey and the Throttle Position sensor which is blue (and just to the left and rear of the MAP sensor) are correctly hooked up, we are back to the original problem. NOTE: The MAP & TP sensors share the same wires. The Yellow /Red and the Green/Orange. The third wire for both are Light Green but the MAP sensor wire has a white strip. Easy to confuse them.

The bike is doing the same thing as when you started the post... may be a little different in the backfire not being as bad or worse.

Terry asked..What fault code did you get when you shorted the data plug? Did you clear them before you checked what the fault code was. I did that once but the code came back. I think the bike has to run first for a bit before it will show another code but could be wrong on that.

Could that mouse have chewed through another wire? Don't know if mice have domestic problems but maybe the partner was sent to the rear of the bike and was working on the ECM.

Wish I was more help

OP
OP
I checked the voltage going to the MAP sensor and only have 4.1 between green/orange and green/white. I may have to get into a Honda dealer to have the ECM check cable installed to check the ECM.
Larry

Top Bottom