Non-Darksider Testimonial.....I'm Convinced

OneSided

Panda Racer Extraordinare
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
So, I have seen and heard lots of proponents and detractors regarding "Darkside" tires. My experience had always been with people/riders while passionate about our sport were slightly less focused on performance and more concerned with mileage. The impression I was left with was one of frugality at the expense of cornering abilty.

This year at the BRG it seemed like the ratio of CT to MT was higher than ever before and I was seemingly always following a Darksider on our group rides through the tarmac (often twisty) surrounding the BRP. While it was still not a convincing performance.....I was intrigued.

After Saturday's group ride I wanted a little more twisties action, so I headed out of camp. Along the way I asked if anyone wanted to take a quick ride with me. As it was, Kendoo joined me for a quick ride that included the Blue Ridge Parkway to Hwy 215 N(AKA...TWISTIES!). During the ride I rode at 8-9/10 of my riding ability and never pulled a gap from Ken....I was shocked! He was running a Darkside rear and I believe a MC rear on front(double dark)....this can't be.....a Darksider that rides aggressively!?!? I shared my astonishment around the campfire that evening and was regaled with multiple stories of firsthand experience with the Darkside.

Presented with this evidence of grip and handling along with the multiple testimonials I absorbed I can not refuse myself the firsthand knowledge of how a CT performs. So....my next rear tire will be non-motorcycle in nature and I can't wait! So for all you fence riders out there...I say give it a shot....seems like there are plenty of guys out there that will take it off your hands if it's not for you.

Until then....

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yup them there car tars are for straight line only ;) Too bad you are so far away...I would let you try mine to see how you like it before committing.

dragon01.JPG

OP
OP
OneSided

OneSided

Panda Racer Extraordinare
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Yup them there car tars are for straight line only ;) Too bad you are so far away...I would let you try mine to see how you like it before committing.

dragon01.JPG
Maybe I'll just have to run up to NH....that would get rid of this Metzeler;)

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
In case you missed it, I was running double dark on my 06 Wing on Friday morning's ride at the BRG... I'm not as good as yellow wolf, but dragging pegs on wet and leaf covered pavement... well that's hanging it out there IMHO.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
That was a fun ride on Saturday, so glad I was in the right place at the right time for the invite...thanks!!! I do run double dark and I'm pretty happy with the setup. Currently running Yoko Envigor/pilot active combo but will go back to GYTT/BT-45 next time around. Got kind of spoiled getting 44K out of that last rear, LOL.
Go for it Kevin, I think you'll like it.

clicker666

2005 ST1300
Bike
2005 ST1300

dragon01.JPG
Great picture - I was trying to show my wife how low the bike could go in turns compared to my old Victory Vegas and Kawasaki Vulcan. So much more clearance! Seeing you're running double dark makes me look forward to my tires needing replacing!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've pretty much made it a point to let any competent ST-owner who wants to try Darkside to let them swap rides with mine. You can talk till blue in the face... first-hand experience (and then personal preference) is what matters.

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Road & Track commenter Bruce still hasn't got past the "uh-oh, someone disagrees with me on the internet, must reply to every comment!" phase of modern internet use. It's a hard phase to get past, some people never do.

After a period of getting used to them I've all but forgotten that I'm riding double-dark now. They're just tires, I steer, bike responds.
The whole "you should've known the cost of tires going into MC riding, you shouldn't ride if you can't afford it!" argument means nothing to me, I try to cut costs no matter what the hobby because I'm a cheap old man.
The CRASH & BURN argument isn't doing it. Initial differences have smoothed with pressure adjustments and familiarity, it's a different ride and it suits my riding style.
BUT THE ENGINEERS! isn't doing it either.

Enjoy the ride OneSided!

Last edited:

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Best thing I like about the Darkside you don't have to put your feet down when you stop!!!;)

I heard that Kendoo guy can ride!!!:cool:

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I was double darkside at the BRG as well, but I just switched from a Pilot Activ front to a BT45. I thought the Activ handled much better, and I was much more agressive with it. I'm still not too sure about the BT45. I hated the way the Activ wore down, though. It cupped and wore into a V, wearing off the sides much faster than the middle, despite some long highway trips.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I was double darkside at the BRG as well, but I just switched from a Pilot Activ front to a BT45. I thought the Activ handled much better, and I was much more agressive with it. I'm still not too sure about the BT45. I hated the way the Activ wore down, though. It cupped and wore into a V, wearing off the sides much faster than the middle, despite some long highway trips.
The BT45 will also wear out on the sides before the center on the ST.

Top Bottom