dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Tiger doesn't come with an air temperature gauge so I added this one today.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, it's about the same size readout as the bike's clock. It's fiddly to see at night though. You have to press one of those tiny buttons which you can't see in the dark. I meant to fab up a tiny soft red LED spot light to illuminate it like this one for the ST dash switch but never got around to it on the NC700. What is a bike without another mod project?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes, it's about the same size readout as the bike's clock. It's fiddly to see at night though. You have to press one of those tiny buttons which you can't see in the dark. I meant to fab up a tiny soft red LED spot light to illuminate it like this one for the ST dash switch but never got around to it on the NC700. What is a bike without another mod project?
Nice, a bike is never done is it?? :D

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes, that's the one. Instead of using velcro I mount it with 3M automotive trim double sided tape to a backing plate that attaches with screws to the mount. When I need to remove it the screws come out easier than pulling off that 3M tape.
Thank you, I may have to get one for the DR.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sweet Bike Dave! Enjoy!
Thanks Lanny. With about the same weight as the NC700 and roughly twice the hp it's pretty peppy. The gear box has close ratios in 2nd to 6th and it almost feels like the clutch is slipping in the first 4 gears because it spins up so fast. I've never had a bike with such a smooth shifting transmission. Can't wait to ride it up in your backyard.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Thanks Lanny. With about the same weight as the NC700 and roughly twice the hp it's pretty peppy. The gear box has close ratios in 2nd to 6th and it almost feels like the clutch is slipping in the first 4 gears because it spins up so fast. I've never had a bike with such a smooth shifting transmission. Can't wait to ride it up in your backyard.
Let me know when you're coming and I'll bring the FZ1 out to play. Again, congratulations and enjoy your new Bike!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Congratulations, the Tiger is a great mid size bike. Isn't it odd that a 800 is considered a midsize bike?

I haven't found anything that I don't like about mine, but it definitely has some quirks that make you scratch your head. It lacks bottom end and for a bike with off road aspirations that's odd. It doesn't have any top end either as it runs out of breath about 9K. However, it has gobs of power between 4-8K rpm and that makes it easy to ride since it doesn't make a lot of difference what gear you're in. The lack of temperature gauge and the fact that the odometer is only displayed for a few seconds on start are also odd to me. It doesn't matter if you only have one Triumph, but the fuel gauge and water temp are reversed on the Trophy so moving between bikes requires a little orientation. More than once I've been surprised when the low fuel light came on and I thought I had half a tank on the gauge, but was looking at the water temp.

There are tons of accessories and the best one I installed was a set of bar risers. It makes the reach to the bars a lot more manageable and standing on the pegs more comfortable. I'd like to put a set of roadie bars on my XC since they are narrower, but haven't got around to it yet. I also added a front fender extension, rear hugger, longer chain guard, and larger rear fender to keep water and mud from splashing up on me in the wet. The stock chain guard ends before the end of the sprocket and the chain can throw dirty water up on your pant leg.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just over 3,000 miles on the Tiger so far. I've since added a Sargent Seat and Triumph accessory heated grips and LED auxiliary lighting. The Triumph accessories are well made and plug and play. I did have a couple oil weeps from threaded plugs into the engine cases. These showed up in the first hundreds of miles. The dealer would have taken care of them under warranty but I just cleaned them up and sealed the threads with HondaBOND.

It's a rider's bike - yesterday I did 1021 miles in 16 hours 53 minutes on an in-state Saddle Sore 1000.

Top Bottom