Tale of a Tiger

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Just over 3,000 miles on the Tiger so far. I've since added a Sargent Seat and Triumph accessory heated grips and LED auxiliary lighting. The Triumph accessories are well made and plug and play. I did have a couple oil weeps from threaded plugs into the engine cases. These showed up in the first hundreds of miles. The dealer would have taken care of them under warranty but I just cleaned them up and sealed the threads with HondaBOND.

It's a rider's bike - yesterday I did 1021 miles in 16 hours 53 minutes on an in-state Saddle Sore 1000.
How is that Sargent seat compared to the stocker? I want to buy an aftermarket seat, but they are expensive and I don't want to make a $500 mistake.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Anything is better than the stock one, I took the Russel Day Long route.....no regrets!

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
How is that Sargent seat compared to the stocker? I want to buy an aftermarket seat, but they are expensive and I don't want to make a $500 mistake.
Night and day. The stock seat was about an hour-long seat for me but with the Sargent I never even think about the seat anymore. I just ride until time to get gas or when I get to where I'm going.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Night and day. The stock seat was about an hour-long seat for me but with the Sargent I never even think about the seat anymore. I just ride until time to get gas or when I get to where I'm going.
That's exactly how I feel too Dave. Glad it's working for you.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's exactly how I feel too Dave. Glad it's working for you.
It is good to have choices. I apparently have a Sargent butt - I've had good luck with three of them but know the RDL, Corbin, Meyer, Lamm, etc., all have their happy customers too.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
That sounds good, I can ride about 4-5 hours on the stock seat before I have to get off. After a particularly long day I ended up stopping about 10 miles from the house because it was just too painful to go any farther without a rest!

One more question, is the Sargent seat any higher than the stock seat? I ride with the stock seat in the highest position and can just get the balls of my feet on the ground.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That sounds good, I can ride about 4-5 hours on the stock seat before I have to get off. After a particularly long day I ended up stopping about 10 miles from the house because it was just too painful to go any farther without a rest!

One more question, is the Sargent seat any higher than the stock seat? I ride with the stock seat in the highest position and can just get the balls of my feet on the ground.
Sargent preserves the original seat height if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't seem any higher to me as I'm tippee toes on the Tiger so I'd notice if it was. Their website has the seat height on it. They were running up to 20% off in November - maybe the sale is still on.

Are you running the stock Tiger windshield?

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
These Tiger 800s have me intrigued as well. Especially the new XCx and XRx models. It would be a tough decision deciding which bike to trade on one.
Yes, of course I bought a 14 just before the announced upgrades. I'd like the variable mapping and traction control but not enough to consider an upgrade so soon. Plus 94 hp is doled out across a linear flat power curve that is not hard to control, it's not like it needs traction control but it would be nice.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Sargent preserves the original seat height if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't seem any higher to me as I'm tippee toes on the Tiger so I'd notice if it was. Their website has the seat height on it. They were running up to 20% off in November - maybe the sale is still on.

Are you running the stock Tiger windshield?
The Sargent sale is through the end of December according to their website. I have the Triumph touring screen on mine and am happy with it for now. It's not perfect, but I'm not interested in investing $300 in an aftermarket screen that might not be any better. A better seat would be my first priority.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Yes, of course I bought a 14 just before the announced upgrades. I'd like the variable mapping and traction control but not enough to consider an upgrade so soon. Plus 94 hp is doled out across a linear flat power curve that is not hard to control, it's not like it needs traction control but it would be nice.
I got a leftover 2012 at a very good price so I'm not looking to upgrade either. The Tiger 800 engine is a delight. It's got plenty of power and like you say, that power is spread across about 4000 rpm with no peaks or valleys. Its a fun bike to ride.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Yes, I don't understand the need for traction control on any bike, especially off road ones, and having to turn if off every time would become a real pain. I can understand race bikes having it because the rider wants to apply full power to get out of the corner as quickly as possible, but on a streetbike, nope. The electronic cruise control would be sweet though.
Cruise would be nice. I've had it on the last two touring bikes and I use it all the time. I don't use it to give my right wrist a break, but to keep from getting a ticket on the highway.

TC I have mixed feelings about. My Trophy has it and I don't know if I've ever felt it kick in.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Sargent sale is through the end of December according to their website. I have the Triumph touring screen on mine and am happy with it for now. It's not perfect, but I'm not interested in investing $300 in an aftermarket screen that might not be any better. A better seat would be my first priority.
I'm considering windshield alternatives. The stock shield is OK but very noisy. How tall are you, do you have the seat low or low? The adjustable touring shield is one I'm considering but those using it seem to be taller than my 5' 6" 29" inseam build.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Hey Dave. I got to thinking about the Madstad. I think it will lay back enough for you to get air. (per our conversation yesterday) Just a thought.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hey Dave. I got to thinking about the Madstad. I think it will lay back enough for you to get air. (per our conversation yesterday) Just a thought.
Maybe so but it would still be hard to look at.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I'm considering windshield alternatives. The stock shield is OK but very noisy. How tall are you, do you have the seat low or low? The adjustable touring shield is one I'm considering but those using it seem to be taller than my 5' 6" 29" inseam build.
I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam. I ride with the seat in high.

Top Bottom