air-bag equipped motorcycle vest

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a friend that road races and swears by his. He crashed once with it and it worked perfect.

v8-7

Site Supporter
Pretty cool.

I thought the whole vest would inflate giving more protection to the body core .

OP
OP
STill STylin

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Heck, I wouldn't want that inflated neck-ring around my neck either.

However, according to the video, the "neck" protection inflates ONLY when the tether is "pulled" as happens when the rider becomes airborne - such as being thrown from the motorcycle.

Also, I strongly agree with another comment poSTed here - would be nice if inflation occurred to also protect the "core" (rib cage, back, etc.)

Wow I am not sure that I would want that around my neck!!!

Thank you,
-Elliot

Blind Spot Mirrors here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-SALE-One-Set-of-2-Blind-Spot-Mirrors-Adjustable-2-mirrors-total-/121435261489?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c461b0a31&vxp=mtr

I honestly think this will be pretty much standard fare for MOST of us in the next generation. Airbags of any sort save lives. Another maker is HIT http://www.hit-air.ca/motorcycle.html and yes they have air bags throughout the vest. $600 is a chunk of cash but how many in here have spent nearly twice that on a top box or Aerostich jacket?

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
The MotoGP guys have a system in their leathers that inflates, then if they pick the bike up and toss it into the scenery again, it has a second charge so they have protection again as well. They use what looks like a CO2 cylinder from a bicycle tire inflation kit (the type with a threaded top as opposed to the BB/Pelet gun style) and it tucks into the aero-hump on the back.
The vest is a similar system, but really one charge should be plenty... Also, the racing system doesn't inflate nearly as much, but is more as added padding to the clavicle area and doesn't limit the head quite as much. I too have seen the other one that is HIT. Best thing is all of them are rechargeable/repackable and the teather ones are very simple designs.
I'd consider one built into a jacket.

................. I too have seen the other one that is HIT. Best thing is all of them are rechargeable/repackable and the teather ones are very simple designs.
I'd consider one built into a jacket.
Your wish has come true! HIT is a Japanese company....known as Eggparka in Japan apparently. They offer quite a variety of jackets with the same system....not sure if you can get them over here though. http://www.eggparka.com/english/lineup/index.html#jac...actually you can purchase the jacket with the same airbag system...even has more airbags...scroll down on the first HIT link.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
STOC #
I honestly think this will be pretty much standard fare for MOST of us in the next generation. Airbags of any sort save lives. Another maker is HIT http://www.hit-air.ca/motorcycle.html and yes they have air bags throughout the vest. $600 is a chunk of cash but how many in here have spent nearly twice that on a top box or Aerostich jacket?
I've been wearing mine since 2006. See their web ad below, many models to choose from.

We will match any advertised price on the web*, plus 20% of the difference!

* ?Low Price Guarantee in the US market. ? We will not be undersold.** ? We'll meet any price on the web! ? They must have the product in stock and ready to ship ? NO Auction Websites included ?
Just send us an email with the URL to info@bikebone.com

**Exception apply when price is below our cost.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...the "neck" protection inflates ONLY when the tether is "pulled" as happens when the rider becomes airborne - such as being thrown from the motorcycle.
Or having forgotten about it and walk away to pay for the gas you'd just pumped... ;-)
In this a simple parking lot tip-over could turn you into the Michelin-man with a bang ;-)

Nothing new there in particular, Dainese came up with those in the late 90ies and developed further from there relying on accelerometers instead of a tether:
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/d-air/street/

[url]https://rideapart.com/articles/how-airbags-protect-you-in-a-motorcycle-crash

[/URL]

Last edited:
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I've been wearing mine since 2006. See their web ad below, many models to choose from.
I've known about these but never knew of anyone who wears one.

What model do you have? What's it like to wear everyday? (hot? heavy?) Have you ever had a "get-off"? Ever trigger it by accident? Jacket quality? etc etc..

Thx.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I tried one of these at the motorbike show last Spring,and the sales rep inflated it on me,it inflated around the body too,can't remember the make but I'm sure I have the brochure somewhere,feels strange when it's inflated but hopefully you'd never need it but no doubt a great safety aid,I might buy one next year.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't like wearing a helmet around my head but there ya go. The collar reminds me of a mini Mae West. I'm not crazy about the tether thing as I'd definitely have an AD or two before I learned. Worse just like when you realize you've left the keys in the car's ignition exactly as the door clicks shut… Oh wait I need to disconnect <POP>.

This is the first I've seen of this device but it sounds like it's got merit.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Hope this answers your questions?
Thank you.

I'm not crazy about the tether thing as I'd definitely have an AD or two before I learned. Worse just like when you realize you've left the keys in the car's ignition exactly as the door clicks shut… Oh wait I need to disconnect <POP>.
I also wondered about this. I'm sure I'd forget & set it off too. I used to wear hardwired molded earplugs with speakers in them. I usually remembered to unplug them when getting off the bike, but all too often, usually when I was in a hurry I'd forget and rip them out of my ears. Ouch! And sometimes the speaker wire would get ripped out of the molded plug. ;-)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm somehow tempted with that Dainese D-Air street...
But I haven't seen a version for rider and pillion, or anything you could "pair" with more the one bike...
Like owning more the one ST and/or the pillion changing from my ST to her 125cc scoot for urban commute...

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I've worn the Hit Air from Crash Bounce since 2011. http://www.crashbounce.com/ I activated it once during a bad parking lot drop when I first got my ST. I ended up on my back with no injuries, wondering what that pistol shot like noise was. I would like one that activates faster. This one would work great in an off, but may not inflate fast enough to help if you t-boned a car that pulled out in front of you. The Wing is the gold standard for that situation. I've got a tether on both bikes. I never ride without it.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
STOC #
I have the 2006 version of the Hit Air MX7 airbag mesh jacket and the 2006 version of the Hit Air Motorcycle Light Weight Airbag Vest REFLECTIVE. The Mesh Jacket wears like a mesh jacket, I have a non-air mesh jacket also. The Air Bag vest is worn over any jacket that's not air bag equipped. Not heavy or hot, of course I wear ATGATT. I've never triggered them by accident. Quality, outstanding!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I activated it once during a bad parking lot drop when I first got my ST. I ended up on my back with no injuries, wondering what that pistol shot like noise was. I would like one that activates faster. This one would work great in an off, but may not inflate fast enough to help if you t-boned a car that pulled out in front of you.
Which is why I'm eye-balling the D-Air system with its bike mounted air-bag control unit, measuring velocity (won't activate <7kph/4.5mph), decelleration rates and axis-forces (as known from cars)...

Top Bottom