Air duct holder?

Bike
ST1100
I was working on my ST1100 and noticed that the two front air ducts were torn. Getting the air duct holder off to replace the air ducts was easy, but getting the air duct holder back in place is proving to be a challenge. Any suggestions about getting the air duct holder would be greatly appreciated!

image.jpg

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm not exactly sure what the cause of your difficulty is, but if it is a problem getting the rubber parts to fit onto bosses, you might want to try wetting the rubber parts in a solution of soapy water (using a fairly strong solution of household dish detergent), and then fitting them on when they are wet. Household dish detergent (the liquid stuff that is in the squeeze bottle beside the kitchen sink tap) is pretty tame stuff, it won't cause deterioration of any of the motorcycle components, but it sure will make them slippery.

Michael

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
So I flipped the screen 180? trying to figure out why someone posted a pic of them snorkels there...
Cause for me "air duct holders" would be either the funnels installed in left and right upper fairing, or the two tabs on the bottom of the air filter housing... ;-)

OP
OP
storymitchell
Bike
ST1100
So I flipped the screen 180? trying to figure out why someone posted a pic of them snorkels there...
Cause for me "air duct holders" would be either the funnels installed in left and right upper fairing, or the two tabs on the bottom of the air filter housing... ;-)
Yeah, sorry about the upside down photo. I was working in the garage and took the pic with an iPad and didn't realize it go posted upside down. While I too call them snorkels, the actual official Honda name is "air duct" so that is what I used :) .

OP
OP
storymitchell
Bike
ST1100
I'm not exactly sure what the cause of your difficulty is, but if it is a problem getting the rubber parts to fit onto bosses, you might want to try wetting the rubber parts in a solution of soapy water (using a fairly strong solution of household dish detergent), and then fitting them on when they are wet. Household dish detergent (the liquid stuff that is in the squeeze bottle beside the kitchen sink tap) is pretty tame stuff, it won't cause deterioration of any of the motorcycle components, but it sure will make them slippery.

Michael
The issue is not aligning the rubber parts. Well, it's mostly not the rubber parts. The issue is seating the "air duct holder" on the carbs. Because the carbs are on two different planes and have alignment pins, I can get one side or the other on, but I can't get both sides on. When one side is aligned, the other side isn't :-( . I am hoping there is a trick to getting this done that does not require pulling the carbs.

The air snorkles are probably torn from the po doing maintance ( ham fisted). The bottom half of the air cleaner catches on the rubber snorkles as it,s lifted. If you gently compress the effected snorkles as the plate is lifted, it will come off without ripping the snorkels. You probably can repair 'em with silicone since they are other wise protected when the top part of the air filter housing is in place

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
So here's the photo right side up - hopefully. Makes it a little easier to see the problem.

Your problem is getting that "snorkel" base re-mounted onto the carbs, right? I'm sorry to say that you are hooped because I was there once and found that it could not be done unless the carb bodies were loose, relative to each other. I was lucky that I already had the carbs off the bike when I tried to reassemble that base to the carbs.

Attachments

OP
OP
storymitchell
Bike
ST1100
So here's the photo right side up - hopefully. Makes it a little easier to see the problem.

Your problem is getting that "snorkel" base re-mounted onto the carbs, right? I'm sorry to say that you are hooped because I was there once and found that it could not be done unless the carb bodies were loose, relative to each other. I was lucky that I already had the carbs off the bike when I tried to reassemble that base to the carbs.
Ugh - after several hours of work on this, I had reached the conclusion that the carbs were gonna need to be loosened. I was hoping the denizens of this board had a trick for getting this done without loosening the carbs.

C'est la vie.

At least I know to be careful with them in the future.

OP
OP
storymitchell
Bike
ST1100
Okay - the bike had to sit for a bit while I changed jobs. A buddy that is a restores airheads (older BMWs) helped me get everything back together without loosening the carbs. We lined the base up vertically, started all the screws, and then just cycled through all of the screws multiple times tightening each one a little bit each time. One or twice we had to tap the base back into alignment with a plastic mallet.

Top Bottom