MPG Learning how to ride my ST1100

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
So ive had the Pan for a couple of weeks now and have noticed that the MPG has improved a bit, first fill up was 42mpg(uk) then 46mpg and today 49!

Think this is due to the way you ride the bike, I find it very relaxing and smooth on the motorway on the daily commute, I try to get into 5th as soon as I can and don't drop a gear that often, 70/75 cruising is very easy and she will glide up to 85 in a heartbeat if I need.

Its a different experience to my other bikes and one I hope to continue with for a long while. Also I cant stop cleaning the bloody thing, not been like this with a bike for a long time............guess the old girl deserves a bit of attention:)

cheers
chris

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
As a new owner of an ST1100, I?ve been pleasantly surprised with the fuel economy I?ve gotten. My first tankful was in the high 30s (not so pleased with that), but recently got 49 commuting and even 52 doing mostly two lane country roads (US gallons). It?s been consistently better than my 750 which I attribute to the ST?s gearing (3750 rpm at 75 mph vs 5000), torquey engine (allows me to keep it in the highest gear possible), and aerodynamics (750 is a naked bike with a brick wall like inline 4).

Bike
ST1100Y
I have to agree with Jim, got my ST brand new in '00, never did ever hit >40MPG in my memory.
Where I'm located, we have alot of lights, traffic & mostly stop&go situation on this tiny island.
I've always been very impressed by the numbers posted here, simply amazing :)

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've never been able to get better than 42 mpg US on my STeed, but I attribute this to a right wrist issue, and K&N filter...:D

Bike
1999 ST1100
I seem to consume 5L for every 100KM I travel...and oddly enough, it doesn't seem to matter "that much" if I'm totally on the highway or in the city. It's pretty constant regardless. This works out to 48 miles per US Gallon (128 oz) or 57.7 miles per Imperial Gallon (160 oz). I know a couple of times I have seen 4.5L per 100KM, but then I've also seen 5.5L per 100KM...but those occurrences have been rare. Like other's who have posted here and on other mileage related threads, it really depends on how you drive.

Bike
ST1100Y
Used to have 4-5buddies riding same bike, none of us had this kind of mileage folks here describe, we all have consistant mileage, 1L ~ 15-17km, reserve lights comes on ~380-420km, fill up ~24-25lit, all city riding.
Maybe we all have the same riding habit/style.
However when we're heading to neighbouring countries on their freeway, travelling @constant speed ~140-160km will decrease mileage alot.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...reserve lights comes on ~380-420km...
That has been my experience as well with my ST 1100 over the past 13 years. If I am riding in a 'relaxed' manner, I get about 380 km before the light comes on. If I'm riding the Swiss passes in the summer, with a lot of wide open throttle coming out of the twisties, I'll get about 330 km before the light comes on. If I'm poking along secondary roads in the countryside at 90 km/h, the light comes on at a bit over 400 km. Don't even ask about autobahn riding in Germany... the light comes on after 2 hours riding.

Michael

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...reserve lights comes on ~380-420km, fill up ~24-25lit...
Pretty much the same here, even with two up, luggage and having fun in the mountain twisties...

What does slightly bug me is that even when already running on fumes, I can't get more then >25ltr in, despite that the tank is supposed to hold 28~29ltr... seems I'll have to tweak the fuel pump bracket a little...
My prev '92 did slurp >28ltr after running it dry...
Sometimes that last 2~3ltr would bring you to a watering-hole ;-)

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have two ST1100?s at the house, Mine is a 91 and the wife's is a 2000.

The 1991 after a 169 fill ups Average is 43.30 mpg, with a high of 54.67 mpg and a low of 27.79 mpg.
The 2000 after a 46 fill ups Average is 48.36 mpg, with a high of 58.55 mpg and a low of 37.59 mpg.

Now on the 1991 there have been many miles with two up riding and there have been several times with extremely high winds. The 27.79 was in 50 mph plus head winds this summer. It was killing me. The is also a difference in rider weight, I am at least 65 pounds heavier. And I am heavy on the throttle she is not.

Bike
ST1100Y
Pretty much the same here, even with two up, luggage and having fun in the mountain twisties...

What does slightly bug me is that even when already running on fumes, I can't get more then >25ltr in, despite that the tank is supposed to hold 28~29ltr... seems I'll have to tweak the fuel pump bracket a little...
My prev '92 did slurp >28ltr after running it dry...
Sometimes that last 2~3ltr would bring you to a watering-hole ;-)
Not too long ago, I push my luck & had the "honour" of running it dry 2x, once had to pushed the lady ~200m to the nearest gas station insight on an incline slope, almost got a heart attack in the heat/humidity :D

I only managed to pump ~27-27.2lit into the tank when dry, so I guess each pump location mounted on the bracket is slightly different bike to bike, never did able to get 28lit into it as claimed by honda.

Lesson learnt for me, got to pay attention to the speedo mileage if on longer distance trip, when light is lit, time to fill her up & not try my luck again...:)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I only managed to pump ~27-27.2lit into the tank when dry, so I guess each pump location mounted on the bracket is slightly different bike to bike...
Also position and behaviour/resistance curve of the NTC (warning light sensor) varies...

...got to pay attention to the speedo mileage if on longer distance trip, when light is lit, time to fill her up & not try my luck again...:)
On my '92 it was pretty consistent: fuel light going to steady ON = 1 hour/100km flight time left... often enough scratching if not exceeding the magical 500km... :yes:
The '00 hid quite some confusion in this, fuel warning already flashing while the gauge still showed ~1/4, or running dry in <70km once the light turned to steady... :confused:

Recently the NTC failed (reckoning >460km on the trip-meter with the needle literally bending around the left limiter with no fuel warning coming is briefly alarming ;-) ), I swapped the pump assy with a used one from a '94; now the warning light starts to "blink" with the needle shortly above the [LOW] line and changes to steady exactly when the needle hits the [RESERVE] area; seems pretty accurate again and confirms that the OEM '00 NTC wasn't functioning/positioned properly from the beginning...

Still a learning curve now to see the actual range remaining once the fuel warning goes to steady as well as how much fuel is accessible with that '94 pump...

I fill up when the gauge reaches 1/2 tank if possible. Doesn't cost any more to run on the top half of the tank and you never have to push it!

Also lessens the chance of water condensation forming in a tank with less air in it!

Rayjoe

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1100P non ABS
Hi Caddyman - I see you're from Wigan - my hometown (many years ago). Glad you're enjoying the Pan! I mainly use mine for longer distances and normally get ~49 MPG (UK) which is ~41 MPUSG if I remember rightly. Highest I ever had was ~51 MPUKG. Usually get ~225-230 miles before the red light starts to glow, and then I always fill up ASAP. Never let her run dry so far but I'd like to test how far I do get on reserve.

I also have a W650 which I use for more local rides and get ~59MPUKG on that. I felt chuffed with that until I reported that on the W650 forum - it seems folks get ~70MPG out of theirs. I must have a heavy right hand!

One word of advice - check your alternator! You can see it from underneath the bike. Mine packed up on me last winter. It seems it's badly located and prone to furring up and cracking after being exposed to British salty roads in winter. A liberal application of ACF50 and a rear mudguard will help prevent this.

Welcome to the forum!

Gareth

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi Gareth
Thanks for the info mate im getting the bike ready for the winter commute now before the bad weather comes!
cheers
chris

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Just a quick one on mpg, im up to 50mpg on last four fill ups, very happy with that:)

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Jim I wish that was true mate, what with the price of a gallon petrol!!
To be fair the receipts I have for the bike suggest it hasn't done a lot of miles in the last 7/8 years around 2k a year, I think just using the bike everyday is probably helping to make it run a bit sweeter.

Anyhoo I should have bought one years ago as its the most comfortable bike ive owned in years and is doing my back the world of good:D

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Great mileage.

I get 42mpg (US) in combined city/freeway; but, my goal is to 30mpg while riding twisty parts of mountain roads. :)

Cheers,
Mark

Top Bottom