Helmets Transition lens on helmet

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My wife and I purchased matching helmets early this season. I like the way it fits, and the cost was quite reasonable. What more could I ask for?? Then the guy says, "you should try the transitions shield with it". Of course I had to ask "how much?". "Well, he said, it's $120". I said No thanks. Fast forward several months to about July. I return for an oil filter and check in on the transitions shield. I walked away with it in my hand. Can't say I regret that purchase one bit. For a guy that wears glasses, and had to switch back and forth between regular and sunglasses, this shield has been awesome!!
Just thought I'd share....

Bike
2010 ST1300
My wife and I purchased matching helmets early this season. I like the way it fits, and the cost was quite reasonable. What more could I ask for?? Then the guy says, "you should try the transitions shield with it". Of course I had to ask "how much?". "Well, he said, it's $120". I said No thanks. Fast forward several months to about July. I return for an oil filter and check in on the transitions shield. I walked away with it in my hand. Can't say I regret that purchase one bit. For a guy that wears glasses, and had to switch back and forth between regular and sunglasses, this shield has been awesome!!
Just thought I'd share....
What is a transitions shield? A tinted glare shield that slides up and down?

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
It's like transition lenses for glasses. It darkens or lightens depending on the amount of sunlight.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is it any quicker then currently offered in optical glasses, like when darting into a tunnel or shade in dense vegetation?
That's my question too. I used to wear Photogray? and Photosun? coated glasses years ago and they were just too slow for in and out of sunlight use. Years later I try Transitions? coating. Faster but not FAST.

Not necessarily a deal breaker though and an alternative if you don't want to buy a helmet like the Neotech.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had one on my Bell RS and it was great. I also have eyeglasses with transition lenses and the visor was much faster to respond.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've got it on a Bell RS-1 also. Yes, I think it's even faster reacting than my glasses are. Gets nice and dark too. It's not an integrated visor, it's the shield of the helmet. Many of the current Bell helmets have interchangeable shields. That was another reason to go with the Bell.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Many of the current Bell helmets have interchangeable shields. That was another reason to go with the Bell.
Its been a while since I've been in the market for a new lid, but as I recall most brands are like that. They don't have a one shield fits all lineup, but they use the same shield on more than one helmet.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wish "they" could develop a film that does this.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I just got one a few weeks ago, I'm really liking it. Looks great, works great, changes quickly, but if you need INSTANT no tint, yeah you're going to have to flip it up INSTANTLY!

For $120 I treat it like it's Fine China! But so worth it IMO.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
I use a Pinlock chromatic anti-fogging insert on my Arai, works well and it's a good price

I've tried to add a url but for whatever reason it goes blank on posting, so enter 'Pinlock protecTINT Anti-fog photochromatic insert' in your search engine and you should find it on youtube.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I use a pro grip anti fog film that is a transition lense as well only cost me 26 and some change at Cycle Gear. Not super dark but it works.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Shoei has video on there transition lens that will be sold soon. but $$
• Full activation in 2 minutes*

* Photochromic performance is influenced by temperature, UV exposure and shield material.

This means Shields Up! for tunnels and foliage.

AGV are launching a LCD visor that switches instantly between clear and dark tint with the press of a button.
That is VERY trick!

Top Bottom