Fork Stem and Swing Arm Bearing Maintenance Q

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Should I repack my triple clamps and swing arm bearings?

My ST1300 has 44,500 miles now and I?m considering taking the triple clamps and swing arm apart to repack the bearings with marine bearing grease. It was suggested to me that if they?re not broke, don?t mess with them since they?re sealed. A mechanic at WeSTOC told me they should be repacked every 24,000 miles. Hmmm, a conundrum.

What's your opinion and experience repacking these bearings?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I would leave well enough alone.
+1
If you do take them out follow the good book on putting them back together. Check the threads about installing tapered roller bearing in the nose if you're in there.
Particularly the swing arm which includes shims and a sequenced torque and angle procedure to get it all seated and loaded properly. It may be a little less complicated if no replacement parts were used I forget. The interwebs suggest this is the fix for the Pan weave.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The OEM caged roller bearings in the head stock can hard to set up and preload accurately. I would leave them alone in lieu of other indications of wear or brinelling. Next time you have the forks out for oil change check for a detent or notch at the straight ahead position. I checked mine often for this indication of bearing wear but never with the mass of the forks removed. I found the detent almost by accident at 96,000 miles during a fork oil change. I'd also leave the swing arm alone.

Bike
'07 ST1300
At those miles you may want to at least check the adjustment on the steering bearings. Mine were so loose at 30k miles that the bike front would shimmy up to every stop and tuck in low speed corners. Anyone with these symptoms take note. It's not always the tires.

Bill

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My were in great shape when they were replaced at over 100,000 miles. I would go ride that bike rather then tear it apart.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Would that be a torque check or look out for the symptoms check?
Elevate the front wheel off the ground. Grab a lower fork tube in each hand and try to rock the fork tubes forward/backward. If you have any play then it could be either the steering stem being a little loose or your fork bushings being worn. You will have to determine if the play seems to be coming from the top end or lower end to determine which it is.

Next step is to center the wheel and give it a little push towards each side. It should move freely until it hits the steering stop lug on the stem. Grab the wheel again and slowly move it through its full travel from one side to the other paying attention to see if there are any 'notches' in the feel, which would indicate bearing issues.

Top Bottom