One of those DUH moments!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had to quit working on the new '04 (Around the first week in August) I bought due to the ride coming up and I decided to get the other '04's coolant leak fixed and let Brett ride it. Since then, I really haven't had much time to get back to it. Just a few minutes here and there, but nothing to spend time to really figure out issues, like it now not starting!

:shrug2:

I couldn't even get the starter to spin, just got clicking out of the starter solenoid, and my first thought, the battery. So I got a new one, put it in and still nothing. So now I'm thing it must be either the solenoid, starter switch or the kickstand switch. :think1:

Last night I got a brilliant idea to jump the solenoid and make sure the starter wasn't stuck. Nope, the starter wasn't stuck, I had it in gear all the time! :doh1:

It is still striped down, although I do have the instrument cluster zip-tied on. But I never even noticed that the Neutral light wasn't on....like I said, I haven't been able to spend any real time on it and just didn't look! :banghead:

I got it out of gear and now the starter works just fine. I'll start it up this weekend and let it run for a little bit!

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
That's not so bad. If it would have been me, I would have had it on the sidestand and it would have started and went through the garage door!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's not so bad. If it would have been me, I would have had it on the sidestand and it would have started and went through the garage door!
I have it sitting on my operating table (HF Bike lift) sitting on the tires, not center stand, with a wheel chock bolted down to the lift and tiedown straps, strapped to eye hooks. Although it did lurch a little, enough to tell me it was in gear, it wasn't going anyplace..but it did catch me off guard when it moved! :eek:4:

Bike
2002 ST1100A
STOC #
The "duh moment" is always easily trumped in my mind by the "that was an easy fix, yah!, on to the next thing" moment!

Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
Had a friend who just bought a HD ultra, wanted to show off the exhaust sound so he started it up in gear and it crashed into some parked vehicles. Who knew they don't have a neutral interlock switch…...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Had a friend who just bought a HD ultra, wanted to show off the exhaust sound so he started it up in gear and it crashed into some parked vehicles. Who knew they don't have a neutral interlock switch…...
Was it a new used? From the factory they have a neutral/clutch safety switch.

Bike
GL1800A/ST1300A
It was new with fuel injection. If it had been a carbed engine it probably would not have fired right up….

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, if it makes you feel any better I just tore apart a light fixture on one of my fish tanks. The light stopped coming on...replaced the timer, the power strip, the switch and the starter. I was getting ready to replace the ballast before I thought to check the bulb....

Florescent bulbs don't burn out very often, but they DO burn out!
Sometimes we just over-engineer the simple things! LOL

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Was it a new used? From the factory they have a neutral/clutch safety switch.
The one I rented one time did not. The guy running the place made sure and tell me several times to be sure and start it with the clutch pulled in just to be safe.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I drove to a city to attend a class about 3 hours away. Stopped for meal before the class began and the bike wouldn't start when I got back. Tried self-push starting, even jumped it to no avail. Finally walked my ST1100 about 2 blocks to get to the class late (they are pretty heavy to push that far). While in class I had an idea that the kill switch had been inadvertently pushed(my mind often wanders). Sure enough, it started right up after I switched it back.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I turn my bike off with the key switch. More than once, I have returned to the bike and someone had messed with the bike and left the kill switch turned off, so when it doesn't start, that is usually the first thing I check. Glad it did not take out the front of your garage.

Bike
2005 Concours
Don't feel bad. I had to suffer the "worst" embarassment. A couple years ago, I was gonna make a small garden. Just big enough for some tomatoes. So I dug out the tiller....pulled...pulled...& pulled. Checked the plug, etc...nothing. I just wouldn't go.

Wife comes up...."what's the matter...won't start? DID YA CHECK THE GAS"? You guessed it...filled it up....second pull. HUMILITATING!!!! They should not be allowed out of the house.

She still reminds me to this day....Better check the gas.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I guess I won't mention how I swapped out a battery and tore apart my wife's scooter for not starting, and was about to give up... until I reset the kill switch! :doh1:
I guess I just did. :eek::

Though that tiller story was a good one. :grin:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I came home and noticed the freezer wasn't running.... multiple outlets were off, but not all of them. Breaker wasn't tripped (reset it anyway). The longer I diagnosed, the more outlets I had torn open trying to find what I thought to be a disconnected hot wire or a toasted wire termination. In the mean time, stuff was getting warmer in the freezer and I was getting frustrated. It was then that I walked by an outlet I hadn't torn open and noticed it was a GFCI outlet... and it had tripped. One quick button push and the freezer came to life.
:eek::

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Out in the middle of nowhere in the California Central Valley on my BMW boxer. It died and I assumed I had ran the tank down and needed to switch to auxiliary. Being a bit dark by that time, I made sure the petcock was set to the German AUF, but AUF is actually ON, and I really needed to move it to RES, which I couldn't see. I pushed that ?*€?!% bike five miles on farm roads until I got to a street light, and by that time I was almost too tired to ride it home.

DaveH

Max Spying
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Not to worry Li'l Bro, getting older and forgetful isn't all that bad it just hurts more. ;-)

Top Bottom