new member of the st tip over club

Bike
2009 ST1300
As we all know, it's not if but rather when your motorcycle will fall down. Well, I am now truly a member of the st tip over club (having been a long time member of the analogous Vstrom club). Last month, leaving the motel in the morning, I had to make an immediate right turn down a steep driveway. The bike is heavy. It's really heavy with gear and pillion. Not enough gas in making the right turn and so of course, the bike went over. Thank you Larry for your tip over bars. Neat trick Mr. Honda with those pop off mirrors. And then, two mornings later, I was trying to put the bike up onto the centre (center) stand. Juggling to get it up on the two feet of the stand and ...... over it went. Again, thanks Larry. Just a booger on the right tip over bar.

The lesson learned: sleep in and don't touch the bike until the afternoon.

Bike
St1300 '11 (frm new)
"I was trying to put the bike up onto the centre (center) stand."

With regard centre stand tips. I developed a technique of when the bike is on the side stand, press down on the centre stand real hard with the right foot as I straighten up pressing with my right knee, the bike balances nicely on both sides of the stand then heave.

I have one of those little centre stand trolley's so I usually get the son or wife to lend some muscle, as I put my back out once using it since the centre stand is not down as far so I actually have to lift the bike (300kg) the first couple of centimetres until I get the correct leverage.

Speaking of centre stand trolley's, one time I hooked the foot lever on the stand in the trolly, I couldn't get the bike all the way up or because it was locked in the trolley, get it down again. Struggled for about 5 minutes desperately trying not to drop the beast.

Cheers

Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I park my bike in the garage on a piece of plywood that has a 2x8 plus a another 1/2 inch of wood attached to it. The 2x8 is beveled on both sides. I pull up on it and stop the rear tire right on top of the 2x8. Never getting off the bike I push the center stand down and rock back and the bike is in the center stand. The rear tire rock backs off the 2x8 and I am parked. No strain no fuss. The 2 inch rise is just enough so the center stand sets with very little effort.

WHAT!!! That sound fiendishly easy. PLEASE could you post a snap so that we can see exactly what you are talking about here. I think I've got it, but would like to be sure. The issue for me is that I park across the top of my drive which has a slight downhill lean. Therefore I have to heave the bike into the upright position before I can start putting it onto the centre stand. At times it's touch and go, and yet on the flat I find it relatively easy. Your dodge could be the answer. Many thanks from across the pond. (BTW, I joined your club on something like Day 3 of ownership, and have cemented my membership on several occasions!)

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
When you all drop this bike, how do you get it back vertical? I do not think I could ever lift my ST if it was lying on the side.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I just grab my left grip and the aft handle and lift with my knees while facing the bike...comes right up. Too many times, the method in the clip results in the bike and rider continuing on over onto its right side...if you lose control of things using this method....just be careful.

Top Bottom