Has Sport Touring gone ADV?

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Having been around Sport Touring awhile, I'm thinking the true sport touring bike will become increasingly rare, and give way to the dual purpose ADV as the weapon of choice. Prolly the situation right now. I don't post there, but the ADV rider forum seems to be very active with a lot of members ridin all kinds of miles. I dunno the demographics of those jokers, so are they mostly younger than us? Best I can tell alot of us are over 50, and why Honda stepped out. "We'll be there when they want a GL."

I don't ride a dual purpose, but I won't rule it out. But I can't see ever not havin a true sport tourer in the garage. But the manufacturers seemed to be after the ADV riders. Off roading is not my thing, mostly because so few places you can do it around here. The only reason I haven't been to Alaska is I don't wanna trash one of my rides. Taking that pretty red FJR on all those dirt roads and construction up there just doesn't seem right.

We might be older than most riders, but we're the jokers with disposable income. Most 22 year old riders not gonna have 2-3 bikes in the garage.

BMW not going anywhere, but they covered the ADV guys with the GS ( wasn't it the first such ride?)

Anyway just my :tc1:

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
My sport tourers went away for a Triumph Explorer 1200--my first ADV-styled bike. Picture a bike with the ST13's powerband, but weighs well over 100 lbs less. For a tall horse, she can gallop and turn quite quickly!

I sold my ST13 to a buddy, I traded-in my VFR1200F DCT for the Triumph, and this Friday I'm selling my 2013 Honda CB1100, because after a few months of owning the TEx (still have the ZX6R for the really speedy track stuff!), I just no longer have any desire to grab the CB1100 instead of the TEx.

I don't do any off-road riding, so my TEx's original tires were replaced with Michelin PR4 Trails (a fantastic tire!)

I'm 45, but yeah, I'm currently enjoying the best sport tourer I've ever owned.

p.s.--why Honda still hasn't imported the Crosstourer 1200 is an absolute mystery to me.

OP
OP
BamaRider

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
My sport tourers went away for a Triumph Explorer 1200--my first ADV-styled bike. Picture a bike with the ST13's powerband, but weighs well over 100 lbs less. For a tall horse, she can gallop and turn quite quickly!

I sold my ST13 to a buddy, I traded-in my VFR1200F DCT for the Triumph, and this Friday I'm selling my 2013 Honda CB1100, because after a few months of owning the TEx (still have the ZX6R for the really speedy track stuff!), I just no longer have any desire to grab the CB1100 instead of the TEx.

I don't do any off-road riding, so my TEx's original tires were replaced with Michelin PR4 Trails (a fantastic tire!)

I'm 45, but yeah, I'm currently enjoying the best sport tourer I've ever owned.

p.s.--why Honda still hasn't imported the Crosstourer 1200 is an absolute mystery to me.
Yeah, but what all the other stuff like adj windshield etc? I'm just curious cos I see the trend. I reckon if I'm gonna ride to Argentina, a dual sport might be the way to go, but if I'm gonna ride between the coasts, I'm thinkin the ST bike is the better weapon? But never been on a long ride with a ADV bike, so I dunno really know.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Can't understand that myself,I think the crosstourer would be my ideal bike,V4,great power and brakes,Honda quality,single sided swing arm,great ergonomics,abs,traction control,if only I could afford one,it would be very hard to part with the ST though.but having one bike that does it all makes sense.
Waiting to see if the new Africa Twin will be unveiled next month.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't know about going just ADV, but maybe split between that and just more sport bike with a bit of nod to ADV.
Seems most here go for a more sporty ride (FJR, VFR, etc., and still the ST1300) but many are also interested in dual-sport/ADV (IOW the sporty side of ADV; VStrom, GS, S10, etc).
I am definitely not a sport bike rider and my ST1100 was the closest I will ever get to sport. That's why I went with the CTX1300 rather than even look at a more-sport-than-sport-touring bike. If the Gold Wing/F6B were a bit less bulky I'd be on that now.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Yeah, but what all the other stuff like adj windshield etc? I'm just curious cos I see the trend. I reckon if I'm gonna ride to Argentina, a dual sport might be the way to go, but if I'm gonna ride between the coasts, I'm thinkin the ST bike is the better weapon? But never been on a long ride with a ADV bike, so I dunno really know.
The TEx's windshield is adjustable, but manually, and doesn't have nearly the range of the ST's. I usually left the ST's windshield fully down, and that's where my TEx's windshield sits too.

I like having the option of riding with no luggage, just the trunk, just the saddlebags, or all three (the ST can of course be ridden w/o saddlebags, but she looks hideous like that.)

I'm a fair weather southern California rider, so for me, having the extra airflow afforded by the ADV bike during hot weather, is more important than the cold wind deflecting capabilities of the ST's full fairing.

Oh, and I now have factory cruise control! :D

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Certainly becoming more common around here too. My brother rides a dual sport and loves it. I've ridden it a few times and i must admit, it's pretty fun to throw it into the corners. I've considered that route too, but for now, I'll keep the ST around so the Mrs can ride along. If I could afford it, I'd have both...LOL

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
My current sport-tourer:

Yes, a true sport-tourer moves down the highway more efficiently but I can go anywhere on this bike and am not limited to pavement. It doesn't do anything perfectly but it does a whole lot very well.
Mike

scootac

Will Ride for Food
....but if I'm gonna ride between the coasts, I'm thinkin the ST bike is the better weapon? But never been on a long ride with a ADV bike, so I dunno really know.
I'd say a fair # of ADV-style bikes have been coast-to-coast, and a fair number continent-to-continent. Just on different roads than most people would ride an ST. The 2 bikes are suited for different types of roads, but both will cross over to the other's territory quite well in capable hands.
Before dismissing an ADV bike, maybe throw a leg and soft bags over one and go for a coupla weeks ride.
Then count how many days till the smile and memories disappear.
A clue....

They won't!!! :)

scootac

Will Ride for Food
And here's another thought....
Riding the ST a coupla 100 miles a day doesn't do much for me anymore. It wants to go on loooong trips, which it does very well. But, I don't have the time to do 2-3 week trips right now.
So, I take the DR out for an afternoon, to places I've never been before, and come home satisfied with having a nice ride.
Shorter, but still very sweet!!!

I do look forward to the time when I'll be able to do 2-3 week trips as I've done in the past.
Which bike I do it on will be a tough decision though.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Whether it's a full-grown adventure bike or just a mid-size dual-sport, I think there is a gradual shift. I already own too many vehicles of all types, but if I total another bike I'm likely to go ADV next time. And don't discount the recent surge in the 'prepper' movement, that could be having a subtle influence on what some people are choosing.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I am very strongly considering going the ADV route. I rode a 2014 Wee-Strom and a 2012 V-Strom recently. Different for sure, but the V-Strom had no trouble hitting triple digits and cruising comfortably, seemed to handle better than my ST1300 and a couple hundred pounds lighter. I'll ride the Super-10 next year and will probably make the switch-over next fall when I can grab a depreciated, rarely-ridden 2014. I missed out on a lot of dirt roads on my trip out west last year and would like to take the road less traveled. I'm also considering riding the Trans-Labrador Highway in the near future BEFORE it gets paved. It was just ranked the loneliest road in North America :)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have toured in Europe on a GS 3 or 4 times as well as a Wee strom. They work very well, especially in the mountains, doing hairpins all day. Not something I would want to do on my ST. However, here in NA, the ST still is better for long tours. Comfort, handling, range, luggage capacity, etc. all make it better suited IMHO.

That being said, I own a WeeStrom that gets nearly as many days use as my ST, just not strung together. Why the Wee? I gotmtired of turning around when the pavement ended and I discovered that gravel and dirt at 50mph is just as much fun as paved twisties at extralegal speeds.

I do 2 or 3 longer tours a year so an ST type will probably always be in my stable. At the rate my ST is NOT wearing out (not to mention, paid for!), I cant see getting rid of it just to have that "new" smell any time soon.

Rod

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
For those that don't keep up with trends in our sport, global sales for tourers like the ST1300, FJR, BMW K bikes, etc. is in decline. Pretty much only those of us in the US call these sport tourers. The segment that is growing worldwide has been the adventure tourers or the so-called "tall rounders". These bikes in 650 to 1000cc middleweight and 1200cc classes offer comfortable seating and ergos to aging riders, decent if not good wind management, long travel suspensions that cope comfortably with a variety of surfaces paved and unpaved, sporty street handling, flexible luggage options, and off road adventure styling. They do a lot of things well and riders like to think they could do a Long Way 'Round on one even if they never will.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I think I have finally found the correct combination of bikes to have in the stable for where I live.
Lighter sport touring bike with plenty of pep for the long intercontinental runs (FJR1300 with electronic cruse and heated grips), Light weight sub liter ADV machine to canyon carve the local Colorado Rocky paved roads and hit the dirt county roads (Wee650), and a good size dual sport to do the 4 wheel drive passes and get home on pavement before it gets dark (DR650)

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yes, a true sport-tourer moves down the highway more efficiently but I can go anywhere on this bike and am not limited to pavement. It doesn't do anything perfectly but it does a whole lot very well.
Mike
Well said Mike. I've not spent any time on an ADV but that's a good description of what I think it would be like. Considering the way I ride, "very well" is plenty good enough. My only concerns would be fuel and luggage capacity.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Well.....I made the switch and really love it more and more everyday. It took some tweaking but I think I final got the bike the way I want it. Fuel issues I fixed that with a couple of MSR bottles for another gallon of gas and on the longer trips I added an aux tank to put me in that 400 mile range. As far as luggage space has way more storage than my ST1100. And one big *** alternator to handle lights, heated gear and any accessories that you may want to add. Give one a try. ...you may like it.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If I was 20 years younger, I would probably have a ADV bike, along with my SportTouring bike(s). But I was into SportTouring before they invented...back with the fully faired 1977 BMW R100RS. I liked the idea of having a fairing and saddlebags, so I always tried to build my own, not that I could afford much. I even tried to put some saddlebags on my '83 650 Nighthawk, but it wobbled too much.

Now I think about offroading and what I would get doing it...broken bones! When you get older, and since with off-roading you will fall, it will hurt more and take longer to heal...so forget it! I'll just stick with my SportTouring bikes thank you!

Top Bottom