maintenance for some rainy days

Leave the splines until you need a new tyre- note there's a few o-rings that should be changed at the same time. I've got a 91 and it recommends a 60% moly grease for the splines which can be a bit tricky to find. Lube the throttle cables and pivot points as well while you're at it.

Check the rear shock for any perishing/leaking around the seal.

I've never bothered getting a set of vacuum gauges personally, a long flat piece of timber with some clear tubing filled with auto trans fluid and in a u-shape- one end connected to each carby I'm synchronising works well.

OP
OP
sendin

sendin

Denny from Sebastopol
Bike
2002 ST1100
Thanks John - The Clymer manual clearly states that #4 is the base carb (no adjustment). I specifically got the Clymer instead of the Haynes based on what I read on this forum. I guess since I work for a company that makes airflow measurement devices I could not resist the gauges, but I think you are right (itdepends3) that all that is needed is what you mention as long as you don't let the trans fluid get consumed by the ST.
Still lots of nice weather out here so everything is on hold until I get rained out. Thanks for the replies - Denny

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Denny, the Haynes manual has one trying to adjust the right bank, both cylinders together, to the left with one adjustment screw. This is not possible, they are not linked of course, but trying to follow that manual has screwed up more than a few STriders' carbs. I have a Haynes manual and have read a lot of the Clymer (pre alt upgrade addendum version) and highly recommend the Honda manual over the others.

The #4 is adjusted with the idle adjustment knob by the fuel filler cap.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom