Non-Stock Lights Illegal?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Years ago when I bought my FZR1000 the PO had removed the turn signals. So I put on a pair of those $10 ones like Jeff was talking about that probably had the 'off road use only' printing on the package, as they were not officially DOT certified. One day I got pulled over and also collected a fix-it ticket for my non-DOT signals. So I got a DOT pair from a salvage yard and went to the nearest station to have it signed off. The guy on duty was laughing at my ticket, and made some comment about "oh yeah, that guy would write up his own grandmother". He didn't even go outside to look at them, just signed it off and kept on laughing.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I'm a little confused here. Is adding lighting the same as modifying OEM stock lighting?

I've never had a bike that I didn't add Hyper-lights to the brake lights and some form of added lighting to the front. I understand that it's illegal to have the added driving lights on a separate switch (which I've always done as well).

Also, the new OEM LED lamps have a clear lens,so I guess it's possible for the casual observer to think the stock lighting has been modified (until the lights are activated).

Bike
Vstrom 650
I remember now I asked a local Garda before I added lights to the ST,he said as long as the lights weren't blue and the taillights were red/orange I think,then there wouldn't be an issue,obviously not blinding other drivers after dark as well,which is common sense.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I'm a little confused here. Is adding lighting the same as modifying OEM stock lighting?

I've never had a bike that I didn't add Hyper-lights to the brake lights and some form of added lighting to the front. I understand that it's illegal to have the added driving lights on a separate switch (which I've always done as well).

Also, the new OEM LED lamps have a clear lens,so I guess it's possible for the casual observer to think the stock lighting has been modified (until the lights are activated).
You can modify OEM lights both legally and illegally, like changing a headlight bulb using either a legal headlight bulb or an illegal one. Same thing with adding lights - you can add legal ones or illegal ones. Read the fine print on the package

OP
OP
tawilke46
Bike
2010 Honda NT700V
You can modify OEM lights both legally and illegally, like changing a headlight bulb using either a legal headlight bulb or an illegal one. Same thing with adding lights - you can add legal ones or illegal ones. Read the fine print on the package
The laws and regulations regarding motorcycle lighting varies by state and locale. Virtually impossible to comply with every state if you add any lights to your bike. I would be willing to bet if someone were to check this LEO's Harley there would be violations.......such as modifying the exhaust system by removing the baffles. Most every HD police unit here in Louisiana has had
the baffles removed.
I attended the Redding Police Motor Competition in 2012. Many police units had additional non-stock flashing brake and running lights on them. These lights were not emergency lighting. Oh my! That is a violation!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The laws and regulations regarding motorcycle lighting varies by state and locale. Virtually impossible to comply with every state if you add any lights to your bike.
You only need to meet the laws of the state it is licensed in. If the local LEO doesn't like the lights, tough cookie skippy.
But this stop wasn't about the lights, nope.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
It is probably much like the tint on car windows, how much is too much? Some officers seem to have a pet peeve and stop folks for dark tint while the majority don't want to be bothered.

Gerhard

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
"oh yeah, that guy would write up his own grandmother". He didn't even go outside to look at them, just signed it off and kept on laughing.
Makes me wonder who's actually doing their job.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Some officers seem to have a pet peeve and stop folks for dark tint while the majority don't want to be bothered.
Same as above. It's not as if every time someone writes an infraction they let a killer escape.

Bike
2007 yamaha fjr1300
There are a lot of laws that aren't enforced because they are outdated or just plain stupid. I didn't watch the video, however as far as my knowledge goes any Non DOT approved lighting or lighting modifier by the letter of the law is illegal and you can be ticketed for it. This is an example of the outdated or just plain stupid laws, the rear brake light flashers are a safety addition and most cops ignore it, however flashing red lights anywhere on the vehicle (other than rear turn signals) by letter of the law are illegal unless you are manually pulsing your brake lever (which I do at stop lights/signs and when I first start slowing down) devices that pulse the brake light for you are technically the way the law is currently written are illegal (except on emergency vehicles), but its one of those laws that needs to be re-written for new technology, the law was not written with the intention of blocking safety equipment but to make emergency vehicles easier to detect because they would be the only vehicles with flashing red lights so you could keep clear of them for safety reasons. The law was really only meant for light bars and the single round lights that volunteer ems/firemen use to get their personal vehicles to the station as quickly and safely as possible

That is my understanding of the way the law is anyway. I could be wrong and I apologize for babbling. I've been sick all day and I'm going nuts having been on the couch not being able to do anything all day today, one of the last nice days of the year too

Bike
2007 yamaha fjr1300
New York Law actually, I'm admitedly not up to date with GA laws because I haven't done any real modding so I haven't bothered to look

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I'm also interested to know what the LEO's reaction would have been if he'd been told the Go-Pro was rolling.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It is probably much like the tint on car windows, how much is too much? Some officers seem to have a pet peeve and stop folks for dark tint while the majority don't want to be bothered.

Gerhard
Don't know how accurate it is but here's a summary.
http://www.iwfa.com/News/Legislation/StateLawCharts.aspx

I'd guess part of that has to do with a LEO being able to see what's pointed at them when approaching a vehicle, or what you're up to besides driving, as well as being able to see well enough to drive at night.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
http://www.iwfa.com/News/Legislation/StateLawCharts.aspx

I'd guess part of that has to do with a LEO being able to see what's pointed at them when approaching a vehicle, or what you're up to besides driving, as well as being able to see well enough to drive at night.
Well, the biggest problem I see is that most motorcycle headlights are a joke! You can hardly see them during the daylight hours. That's why I added driving lights, which technically are Illegal. But, as long as I don't get bothered, I'll leave them on there.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
http://www.iwfa.com/News/Legislation...LawCharts.aspx

I really wasn't concerned about what is the legal maximum tint, I have never tinted any windows and doubt I would start now. What I was saying is that enforcement of tint regulations seems to vary from officer to officer and wonder if the same applies to extra lighting. Officers seem to all interpret running red lights, hitting pedestrians, drinking and driving etc. the same but these less serious offences slide by a lot officers. I guess that is the definition of policing verses enforcement, for enforcement you need only need to know the rules and apply them without thought where policing requires the use of discretion and weighing the benefits to the costs.

Gerhard

Top Bottom