Boots Alpinestar web gore-tex boots.

Bike
'09 ST1300
Couple of years ago I purchased Alpinestar web gore-tex boots. They were priced right and had a good protection. At exactly two years after purchase, a hole developed on the back of the left boot. Mind you, I have maybe 5k miles on the boots. I contacted alpinestar, send them pictures and sale receipt, they replied they could not do anything since warranty is good only for 1 year (so much for standing behind their product). I have oxtar boots with close to 50k miles on them and still going strong. I'm disappointed with their product and customer service and won't be buying any alpinestar.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow 5000 miles I would think those boots should still look almost new. I have been way happy with my Sidi boots.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the same boot, for a little over a year now and with at least 30K, and they are fine. Just a little warm in the summer, is my only complaint.
Too bad they won't help you out with your problem.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I use the next step up on the Alpine boot tree and was surprised at how shortly the sole lasted. Maybe a year and half?? Seems a $300 pair of boots should last longer. The soles are pretty thin and super flexible, guess that is why they are so comfortable and nice to wear.

But that was 30k miles. A lifetime for some motorcycles.

I contacted Alpine and they will resole them for $100. Of course they responded the day after I gave them to my local shop that said they could resole them for $125.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...they replied they could not do anything since warranty is good only for 1 year...
Maybe its how you communicated with them... "a couple of years" is quite some time ago ;-)

With Daytona its no issue of getting them repaired, either resoled, getting the Gore-liner replaced or a new zipper sewed in...
The sales-weasel at the local dealer, supposed to relay them to Daytona is kinda stalling, they rather sell you new ones as making no profit in seeing to get your pair fixed... :roll:
But I can get quite persuasive in such situations... :p

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Couple of years ago I purchased Alpinestar web gore-tex boots. They were priced right and had a good protection.
I have these boots as well. I found them almost unbearably hot for our Texas summers so I relegated them to winter duty and picked up a pair of TCX Airtech's for use during warm months.

Up until a couple of years ago, I wore nothing but Sidis. I loved their all weather comfort and waterproofing ability but their prices just got higher than I was willing to pay. Turns out I should have just stuck with them because the money I had to spend on the two pairs of boots I wound up with, the Alpinestars and TCXs, was more than I would have spent on one pair of Sidi's.

At exactly two years after purchase, a hole developed on the back of the left boot. Mind you, I have maybe 5k miles on the boots.
Just curious, what rubbed on the back of your boot to cause a hole to develop?... or did some stitching come apart??

Last edited:
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I've got the same boots with 50k plus on them and wore them walking around visiting sites out west, wear them around the office when I ride to work and too lazy to change. Little beat up but still going strong. No problems here.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I wasted my money on all kinds of boots, googled "best on road riding boots available" and found Sidi On Road Gore-Tex boots. These boots had the best reviews on any boot available though pricey at $360, that scared me at first. I procrastinated for months, finally convinced myself I was worthy then got them and must say worth every penny spent, they can be resoled for @ $100.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I wasted my money on all kinds of boots, googled "best on road riding boots available" and found Sidi On Road Gore-Tex boots. These boots had the best reviews on any boot available though pricey at $360, that scared me at first. I procrastinated for months, finally convinced myself I was worthy then got them and must say worth every penny spent, they can be resoled for @ $100.
Those are my go to boots and are good in any weather.

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I've have mine for 10 years now and over 100,000 km on them. The toes are worn out and is time for a new pair but no leaks and are a great pair of boots. Sometime we have bad luck with a product and is nice to share the stories anyway.
Lyle

OP
OP
Bike
'09 ST1300
Boots still look new and they were waterproof. I figured they would stand behind their product and replace them with new ones, warranty or not since only have 5k miles on them. Have to say that they offered me what I paid ($129 - great deal I got) toward the purchase of new ones. I checked their website and no more web gore-tex boots( discontinued) and other alpinestars just don't do for me.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Mine are 6 years old with 30K on them and they look, fit and feel the same. Totally waterproof and comfy. Bummer about your failure...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Dang... just looked across the whole AlpineStars website and sure enough all the boots that were like the Web or Gran Torino model are gone. All have buckles now.

Hopefully in a few years when I do totally wear these boots out they will make some new model like it. But I think these are like the ST engine, it's going to be a long time before they are worn down and out.

I do have a pair of Sidi's. They are nice but not as overall comfortable as the AlpineStars for me. The Alpines are just like a loafer when you have them on, so comfy and conform to the feet. The Sidis feel like a boot, stiff and rigid. Comfortable enough to stand or ride in, but not something i want on my feet all day if I am stopping often while riding or wear all day at the office.

Oh yeah.. if you read this PopJack... thanks for donating the Sidi's to my spares collection. ;)

Last edited:
Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I have oxtar boots with close to 50k miles on them and still going strong.
+1 on Oxtar, which is now TCX. I have a pair of the Oxtar Matrix boots that I have been wearing for probably 10 years and probably have around 80K miles on them. I think I paid about $80 for them. Probably some of the best money I have ever spent. They have several protection features built into the boot. My feet have never gotten wet, even in a couple of situations where just about everything else on me got wet. The uppers are still intact and function as well as they ever have. The soles are worn and the zipper on one boot has blown out but that is no big deal since there is also a velcro flap that covers the gusset. I have contemplated another pair of boots but I just can't seem to wear these down to where they just absolutely have to be replaced. If it is possible to get them resoled I could probably wear them for another 10 years. If I do purchase another pair TCX will be at the top of my list.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I have the same Alp Goretex boots, bought for about $125 about 12 years ago. They've been along for about 50,000 miles of riding. Several years ago I relegated them to Winter duty as they've become a bit oversized--so I have my Gerbing heated insoles in them for winter rides, and I can still wear thick socks. The boots have fared reasonably well, with the stitching staying together, the soles remaining adhered, and the zippers still work well. My only negative observation being that the leather grain is different between the various swatches of leather, so the leather is wearing and is textured differently on different areas of the boot.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
My only negative observation being that the leather grain is different between the various swatches of leather, so the leather is wearing and is textured differently on different areas of the boot.
It has always amazed me how many different types of leather can be in one leather item, and like you say some sections wear great and others not so much. :think1:

Top Bottom