Boots Alpinestar web gore-tex boots.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Pete, I'm very curious to see the photo of the hole that developed. Can you venture a guess as to the cause?

I've worn the soles down on my 130K mile, 13 y/o Alpinestars Gore-Tex Tourers enough that I'm looking to replace them. Good to know that they can be repaired, the local shoe shops won't touch them. I love these boots as much as one can love an inanimate object. Super clean design (no silly, completely unnecessary, shifter flap), top/full grain leather, comfortable right out of the box and walking, easy on/off but secure, etc etc. Arctic Circle to Big Bend, 25F to 115F, frog-stranglers and stream wading totally waterproof...

The closest current model appears to be the Gran Torino. I'll be contacting Alpinestars about a repair first. Also looking at the Aerostich Combats but unless they've added a bit more room to the toe box than the pairs I tried on in their store 13 years ago they're out. Decisions...

John
via iPhone 4S

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The closest current model appears to be the Gran Torino.
That's the model I'm using and love'em
Keep an eye out if you are wanting to buy these John. I saw the US retailers is still stocking them, but they are not on AlpineStars current model list. So you would think the factory dropped them but there are still some in the warehouse... for now.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I contacted Alpine and they will resole them for $100. Of course they responded the day after I gave them to my local shop that said they could resole them for $125.
Wow that sure seems expensive I had my Sidi's resoled at my local cobbler and it was $60.

RCS

Could it have been a result of the heel of the boot touching the exhaust pipe?

I have a pair of Alpinestar Supertech R boots that I have been very happy with since 2010 and 28,000 miles. Treat them with Red Wing boot oil each year and they look brand new today.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Wow that sure seems expensive I had my Sidi's resoled at my local cobbler and it was $60.
I'm guessing your Sidi's probably have a mid-sole and are designed to be re-soled by stitching. Most cobblers will look at these boots and laugh. To resole them they have to grind off the old and then glue on a new.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Thats exactly what he did we went through a book of new soles he picked out the right one and did just that and now they can be resoled again and again. This guy is good he knew the boots were Italin as soon as he saw them.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You got a good deal and a good cobbler. I checked with 5 different places here in St. Louis. 1 said no way, one said (very arrogantly) throw the boots away and buy a new good pair, one offered to do it for 80 but said they probably wouldn't look good as he would remove all the rubber even the part that wrapped up the back. The other two were $120 and $130. I opted for the $130 as I have used them before for repair on other leather and canvas products and they always do a good job.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'd go by a windshield repair shop and have them put some windshield goop on it forcing some to the inside of the rip to and let it setup and wear them till they fall the rest of the way apart.

OP
OP
Bike
'09 ST1300
That's the thing. Besides the tear, they have Gore-tex liner which is in tact so they are 100% waterproof and functional.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
they have Gore-tex liner which is in tact so they are 100% waterproof and functional
The windshield goop that I can't remember the name of would work great for that. Flex nice and won't tear. Takes a while to set up.

Top Bottom