putting ST1100 on a lift?

sendin

Denny from Sebastopol
Bike
2002 ST1100
I am using a Harbor Freight MC lift http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html

Used a heavy wood block between the jack surface and the bottom of the bike so all of the engine case tabs that project below the exhaust are supported. Sine it is heavy in the rear I tied the front down to the jack surface so it would stay level as it goes up.

Once I lift it off of the center stand the whole bike tilts back such that it is taking the whole lift back with it and raising the two fwd lift wheels off the concrete garage floor. I am getting the idea that this just isn't going to work.

I like the idea of working on the bike without having to bend over so much, but maybe I am better off not trying to use a lift since this bike does not want to balance from the bottom of the engine. Am I missing something?

Re: lifting

I life my Valkyrie with an adapter which supports it from the bottom of the engine AND supports the mount for the centerstand. Holds it well. Have you thought about bolting a strong board to the lift to spread out the support?

t he st1100 is hard to lift from bottom of engine , exhast pipes etc, I just drive the bike to shop for tire changes now.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

That lift sounds like it could cause you some major issues when trying to use it on an ST, sounds like you need a stronger lift.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #

You need to build a cradle, very easy to do. a piece of plywood for the base a 2x4 crosswise at the front which sits under the tabs of the oil pan and a 1x2 at the rear to catch the centre stand crossbar. Take off the tip over bar covers so you can attach straps to the bars and down to the lift.
There are threads on this procedure on the site.j
image.jpg You can sort of see my cradle here in this photo

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
I think a bike like the ST needs to be on a proper heavy duty lift,my lift takes her about 30" off the floor which is very handy.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I think a bike like the ST needs to be on a proper heavy duty lift,my lift takes her about 30" off the floor which is very handy.
I have the Harbor Freight unit and it works well. I use 4 tie down straps.
For the wing I just got a "Pitbull" lift. Nice wide footprint and nice and rigid.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
This scissor-jack is the real convenient and safe jack for an ST (or motorcycles in general)
https://www.louis.at/en/artikel/scherenheber/10003265?list=20837462
Bike on main-stand, position crescent adaptor under the thicker material of the oil drain thread... rock solid.

Far more convenient is use of above in combination of a full size MC lift-platform... this finally eliminates all the back-breaking when working on the rig...

OP
OP
sendin

sendin

Denny from Sebastopol
Bike
2002 ST1100
I will try the cradle. Got some pieces and parts that might make a good one. The lift seems strong enough. The load just needs to be balanced better. If it is still wanky after the cradle, then I will return it. Thanks for the replies - Denny from Sebastopol

Bike
2007 yamaha fjr1300
I had my ST1100 on my harbor freight lift for a few months. On center stand, ratchet straps to 4 points so the bike is pivoting on the center stand with both wheels off the ground. Once the wheels are removed I brace the rear and front of the bike with some lumber for my peace of mind

I also drove some concrete ancors into my garage floor to bolt the lift to when there is a bike on it for my peace of mind as well ;)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
That's a great website Martin.
Only to a part... lots of cheap 3rd party stuff, loads of needless bling-bling...
But then again some really nice and nice tools and accessories, like that scissor-jack; got mine "on sale" for under €70,-... (the ones for professional workshops are over 300,-...)
They frequently have astonishing sales on brand helmets, sat-nags, intercom systems, ratchet-kits, etc...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I bought a jack for my HF Lift off ebay. They aren't that expensive and work great.
ebay motorcycle jacks
The one I bought was similar to the $55 one that first pops up.
But with this design belly pan and downpipes are in the way... risk of bending parts, etc...
The scissor-types come with adaptors bridging that distance, so the bike rests nicely on the (stiff) front part/edge of the oil pan.

Top Bottom