need some help in dissamembly of damper case

I'm in the process of refurbishing my '98 swing arm and drive shaft. Today was to be the day for drive shaft disassembly and parts cleaning. I have removed the universal joint cotters, universal joint, and o-ring.....the manual indicates that there should be a small thrust washer on the shaft in that area, but I haven't found one. I have also removed the split ring from the bottom of the damper case to allow the shaft to move. I tried securing the case and pushing the shaft towards the transmission....haven't sensed any movement. I'm beginning to think that I could be trying to remover the shaft in the wrong direction.....so I've stopped until I can get an idea how this assembly really should be taken apart- without damaging.. am I on the right track and just not applying enough force to the shaft? or do i have the direction wrong? i have tried to remove the oil seal from the case, but i can't seem to get a tool under the seal, to pry it up n out. and at this point i tore the retainer spring off the seal, so i have to address this-- thanking all in advance

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thank you, Bush.....I thought I had read all the pertinent threads on this. how I missed it is beyond me. but it was all I needed to get back on track...the damper case slides forward on the shaft to come off the d.shaft. thanks again

Top Bottom