Route suggestions MN to AZ

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Hello All,

I'm considering a ride from MN to AZ. My plan would be to leave the middle of November. I'm concerned about the weather, particularly in elevation.

I'm looking for suggestions on a best route to take; given the time of year.

Thanks
Tom

Depending on your AZ destination, I would recommend finding your way to Amarillo TX, Las Cruses NM, Tucson AZ for the Southern most route and lowest in elevations. I think all roads below 5k ft elevations. Flagstaff AZ and through Payson AZ both take you well above 7K elevations and snow/ice a real possibility. Watch your weather and have extra time in your itinerary to dodge or wait out passing storm fronts. But I am a fair weather rider and do not understand what heated gear is, except an ST in 100+ deg :D.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Easy, go south til ya get to TX, then turn right....LOL...I wouldn't even gamble riding a direct southwest route, unless you know a weather guesser that you can trust a 10 day forecast from. Personally, I avoid the interstates and stick to the state highways and county roads. Sounds like a nice trip. Hope all goes well

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
"Southern most route and lowest in elevations. I think all roads below 5k ft elevations.".
FYI Ruidoso NM. is right at 7,000 and Cloudcroft is almost 9,000. There should be no problems that time of year except good and cold followed by warm across White Sands.

I also would suggest a route to Tucumcari (US54 hwy) or Amarillo and onto Las Cruses.

Agree with ZIAMON, I was thinking US54. Avoid those 7k elevation passes and highways to ski resorts. Say hello when in town and ride safe.

OP
OP
carpdm

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
I've been thinking about this for a few years. I would ride down to AZ in the fall, then fly back to MN. A few times during the winter, I would fly down to AZ, do some riding then fly home. Then around April, I would fly down to AZ and ride back to MN.

I'm not getting any younger. This year may be the year I finally do it!!!

BTW, I would also appreciate any recommendations on nice hotels along the suggested route.

Bike
ST1300A '10
I believe your best bet would be to watch the weather, look for a warm, clear window and then jump on I35 and hightail it down to say Austin and then head west. The problem with November is the days are short and just about anything weather wise can happen. The faster you get south, the less extreme the weather is apt to be. I did that trip a few years ago in mid-April. It didn't get above 35F for about 500 miles or so. By Oklahoma City, it was in the 60's.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
I just recently did this route.

I left from Duluth, MN with a goal of Tucson, AZ

Duluth to Pipestone (there's a great old hotel, the Calumet Inn, in Pipestone and there's also excellent pie at the local diner, Lange's Cafe)

I then took Hwy 81 and stayed in Concordia, KS because it started pouring down rain (stayed at a Super8 there - nothing to write home about but was quite nice). At Salina, KS, I took 140 to Elsworth and then 156 to Great Bend. 156 becomes 56 and takes you to Clayton, NM

In Clayton, NM stay at the Eklund Hotel and check out the hardware store across the street - the old lady there is 98 and has worked at the store since she was a kid - very cool. There's also a great NAPA auto parts store that a young woman recently opened and she's quite interesting to talk to, too.

For a scenic side bar, from Clayton, head out on 87 instead of 56 and check out the Capulin Volcano. Then head on down through Santa Fe and Albuquerque. At ABQ, hang a right and head west towards Grants, NM and then take 117 down through El Malpais National Monument. You'll then find yourself in Quemado, NM where you can detour east to PieTown on Hwy 60 and get some more really good pie or continue southwards towards Silver City.

Anyway, this is a really nice way to get from MN to AZ without very little interstate and really nice roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
carpdm

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Anyway, this is a really nice way to get from MN to AZ without very little interstate and really nice roads.
Raven, thanks for the route suggestion and detail on places to stay. I'll map it out. At this time of year my greatest concern is cold and snow, especially in the higher elevations.

Tom

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
BTW, I would also appreciate any recommendations on nice hotels along the suggested route.
Tom:

I spend about 8 weeks a year riding my ST cross-continent (mostly in Europe), and I always stay in hotels. I never book ahead or plan to stay at a specific hotel, unless it is a place I have been before. Instead, I ride until I decide I have done enough riding for the day, then I use a little application called "Trip Advisor" that runs on my smartphone to search for "hotels near me". The results list will show both prices of the hotels (sourced from multiple booking organizations, hence generally quite competitive), and rankings of the hotels based upon reviews posted by fellow users who have stayed at that hotel/motel/B&B before.

Generally, I confine myself to booking into properties that are listed in the top 10% based upon user reviews, and I have never been disappointed. Surprisingly, there is not a direct correlation between price of the property and how high it ranks in the reviews - often, a simple 3 star hotel will have a higher user ranking (for good reason) than a nearby 5 start that costs twice as much.

What I like best about finding a place to sleep this way is that I'm never forced to get to a certain town by a certain date in order to comply with a reservation, especially if the weather is poor. Instead, I just ride until I feel that 'that's enough" for the day, and usually I am in the hotel room within 45 minutes of starting the search on TripAdvisor.

For what it's worth...

Michael

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't think anyone has been completely truthful in this thread. He asked for the "best route" to take. Not the shortest, not the fastest...Best route for November for me would be like south to Panama, right turn to Hawaii....

Is he gone yet or still just thinking? GET GOING BEFORE MN FREEZES OVER!!!

OP
OP
carpdm

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Well...I got stuck in MN. Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Once again proof of the fabulous members on this site. Over the winter months, I'm going to keep my eyes open, search for a bike to purchase in AZ (maybe a Goldwing or F6B) then ride home in the spring. If nothing else, the process will help me deal with Parked Motocycle Syndrome over the winter months.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Don't feel that bad about being stuck up north, because it's not a whole heck of a lot better down south.

I left Toronto, Canada about 10 days ago - figured I'd ride down to the Gulf Coast (Alabama), then across the bottom of the USA and up along the Texas-Mexico border to the West Coast. Well, heck, the coldest temperatures I have experienced so far have been within 2 miles of Mexico. I overnighted last night in Sanderson, TX and woke up this morning to find frost on the windshield of the moto! The HIGH temperature forecast for today between here and El Paso is 31 degrees! That's 31 American degrees, not Celsius.

I think you Americans ought to vote to build that Keystone pipeline, if for no reason other than to bring some heat to the desert of West Texas. :)

Michael

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Tom:

On a slightly more serious (more practical) note, have you considered renting a small U-Haul truck (one of the 10 foot ones), tossing the moto in the back, and just driving down south? That would be a lot cheaper than buying a second moto.

I bought my ST 1300 a month ago and picked it up in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. Due to paperwork and permit complications, I had to truck it from there to my home in Toronto. It cost me about $500 CDN (+$300 in fuel) to rent a U-Haul and truck the bike to Toronto. Tying down the bike in the U-Haul was quite easy, I made a post about it here: Trailering the ST (see the picture in post #28 in that discussion). I drilled two holes in the floor of the U-Haul, installed heavy-duty eyelets (with large washers on each side of the floor) on both sides, and attached the single tie-down strap to each eyelet. When I was done, I just plugged the holes on either side with caps purchased at a hardware store, and siliconed the caps in place. Worked great, the bike didn't budge an inch.

If it doesn't warm up soon here in Texas, I might be doing the same thing again to get the bike to Arizona...:(

Michael

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I'm beginning to believe that, I made it to New Mexico today. Several hours of riding in below-freezing temperatures, but by the end of the day, it had warmed up to +7?C (45?F). I sure appreciate that adjustable windshield!

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to hear you didn't get out before the white out.. If you need a trailer, you can use mine to trailer it south.. Just 100 miles south and its snow free..

Top Bottom